Friday, April 22

I get knocked down (and I get up again)

got knocked out of orbit for the past two days due to the annual nasty throat infection. i'm rather prone to these things and manage to have one at least once a year. woke up with severe chills, a sore throat and a 39.2-degree fever tuesday morning, which promptly sent my mom into a panic. she dragged me to the e.r. (yes, the e.r. -- grabe ang mga nanay ano?), where i was attended to by dr gen honculada, former acs alto. small world.

ang mahal na pala magpagamot ngayon. leche. my wallet (and my mom's) berated me for not availing of my office's HMO plan.

spent the ensuing two days bored out of my wits, flat on my back, devouring old reading matter: six issues of my mom's real living magazines, many waters by madeleine l'engle, angels & demons by dan brown (after i heard about
him -- which scares me, by the way, to read about his "crackdown" on liberation theology. what would our beloved fr. g say about his life's work?), ang mga kagila-gilalas na pakikipagsapalaran ni zsazsa zaturnnah by carlo vergara, and a bit of shiva 3000 by jan lars jensen.

i'm back at work, but far from feeling in tip-top shape. i can hardly look at a monitor screen for more than fifteen minutes (thank goodness for speed typing), and the office fluorescent lighting seems unbearably harsh after the shady, yellow-lit cocoon of my room.

on the bright side, i seem to have lost a significant portion of tummy flab, thanks to the sore throat that doesn't allow me to eat a whole lot of solid food and the meds that make what i little i do eat taste like sawdust. i think i would have lost more flab if my mom hadn't bought me famous amos cookies and blueberry cinnamon roll from old reliable saint cinnamon.

the last time i got a throat infection and had to stay in bed for three days, i lost so much weight that the mom of my high school best friend thought i was on drugs. a couple of days later, i pigged out on kfc and brought my appetite back to, er, normal working conditions. let's hope that doesn't happen again this time. after all, there is nary a kfc in sight.

comfort rituals for a fever: piping hot lucky me beef noodles or quaker oats, royal tru-orange or pineapple juice, skyflakes, lots of water, vicks, alcanforado on one's back and the soles of one's feet, an alcohol-and-ice water rubdown, getting bundled up in a comforter, sweater and socks. (oh and my lola trying to convince me that i am being toyed with by a playful spirit. hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment