Wednesday, November 8

A proposal in Paris

it was october 21st, a saturday, our first night in paris (and marlon's first in europe). after a warm welcome at the philippine embassy (marlon opened the door for me with a bouquet of pink roses) and washing off the horrid experience of traveling for nearly two days without moisturizer or toothpaste, we set off for dinner. marlon, having arrived in paris a few hours earlier than i, had made reservations at a restaurant in the gardens of the palais-royal, a few blocks from our hotel and from the louvre.

after minor quibbles about getting almost-lost, we found the restaurant. it was intimate and lovely -- deep red walls, candlelight, and more silverware on the table than i knew what to do with. marlon and i were the youngest diners in the place, and the only asians too.

dinner was lovely. the food was delicious, but what i savored most of all was the surreal feeling of being in a real restaurant in paris with marlon.

(real as opposed to, say, meals at hosts' houses or embassies or parish halls or out of plastic bags, which is where i had meals in all of my paris trips with the glee club. i actually told marlon prior to the trip that i couldn't imagine how on earth we would eat in paris, simply because i couldn't fathom the idea of eating in an actual restaurant.)

and so we enjoyed some salmon carpaccio, and lamb, and some very good foie gras on toasted raisin bread (if i ever serve foie gras at home, that's how i'll serve it), and some red wine that, working in tandem with the exhaustion of the long flight and of tragging my maleta halfway across paris, nearly knocked me out after the last bite of carpaccio. just when i was about to fall asleep on the dessert menu, marlon looked at me with this full and happy look in his eyes i'll never forget, and said:

"if i give you something now, will you be too sleepy to appreciate it?"

kabog. kabog. kabog.

is. this. it?

"er," i mumbled, as my heart thudded as fast as fatigue could let it. "it depends. what is it?"

"i picked up some trinkets for you around paris," he replied.

"oh, okay," i said, wildly relieved. he couldn't possibly have bought me the ring in paris. that would be ridiculous. babatukan ko siya kung ganun. ang mahal kaya.

and he reached into his bag? pocket? and presented me with this:


"it's lovely!" i sighed, turning it around and around in my hands. i was so afraid to open it, that i kept on turning it over in my hands, running my fingertips over it, and trying to pretend that it wasn't something that could be opened.

and then he said it, and i knew.

"open it." so i did.


"will you...?" he said.

"of course," i replied.

then he came over to my side of the table to hug me and kiss me and put the ring on my finger.


he told me how far in advance he had planned everything, how he had changed some of his plans to go with the perfect moment the restaurant had serendipitously provided, how his entire office had cheered him on before he left for paris on friday, how meticulously he had worked with a jeweler for the custom-made ring (he selected the stones himself), how he had carried it around his neck the entire day, and how he had traipsed around paris in search of the perfect box.

dessert was a happy, candlelit blur, punctuated by flashes of light from our cameras, bouncing off the silver and crystal on the table. walking back to the hotel, close to midnight, we stopped by a small square with a stone fountain.

i finally cried there on a bench there -- overwhelmed by everything the ring on my finger meant, by the end of our long-distance relationship in sight, by a new chapter in my life that had begun when i opened a little enameled pillbox, and by how lucky i was to have this man and this moment.


i still look at the ring sometimes (often, actually) now that i'm on my own -- marlon has gone back to singapore and i've gone back to being a choir girl on tour, and i think about those things. people ooh and aah over the ring (even strangers i meet at festivals and competitions), and i supposedly have an "engaged glow" about me now -- but what lies ahead shines even brighter.

19 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Congrats Deepa! The ring is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!! Ahhh nakakainggit ka...you're in Paris and you got engaged. sarap naman!

    wishing you all the best, deepa! although i think you got everything already. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY!

    Congrats congrats! welcoming you to the club soon :D

    - g!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm speechless! Gosh, I'm so happy for you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaahhh!!! Pinaiyak mo ako!!! Congratulations, Deepa. I'm so happy for you. Wow. Wow. :) You look absolutely gorgeous in your dinner pic (kahit sabi mo pagod ka) din. Oh, and can I just stay mega hunky si Marlon dun sa dinner picture niya. Luv the goatee. Hehehe. Hugs to you, Deeps. Congrats ulit. Grabe. Sobrang tuwang tuwa ako for you na tipong habang binabasa ko yung sinulat mo kumakabog yung dibdib ko, kahit na ba alam ko nang engaged ka. :)

    CONGRATS!!!! (obvious bang masayang masaya ako? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deepa!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. The ring is gorgeeeeous. You and Marlon look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Deepa! Am very happy for you! And the ring, panalo!
    -Ate Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO SO SO SO SO Happy for you!!! Ive seen both of you together and I just know that you were meant for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. naiyak ako sa post na ito. congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't help it! I have to react! Congratulations, Deepa!

    And talk about splendid writing, my dear! SUPERB!

    The smooth prose. The dramatic poetry. And of course, the promotions potential. If only we sold ILNY the way you wrote your entry.

    Sssshhh! Sa yo ko lang sinabi yan ha! Hahaha! We miss you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My deepest, sincerest congratulations! WOW!

    and that is such a beautiful box

    ReplyDelete
  11. im your avid follower, kase ang galing mong magsulat!
    Congrats...you both look good together! ahhh, kakainlove!

    pepe M

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS!!! LDRs are a b**ch... but with a happy ending, they make you appreciate each other more :0) I am so happy for you! - Mrs.A

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello gorgeous -

    It has been three weeks since that night in Paris - and a lot has happened to both of us since then. You went on to Normandy, then Spain with your choir where you guys won your first set laurels;I flew back to exciting (um...) Singapore to plunge back into the rat race. (Ok..so a lot has happened to one of us since then..)

    Still - not a single day hasn't gone by when I haven't relived that night.

    I don't know if it showed, (or if it did, you may have been to zonked out to notice) but I was extremely nervous that day. (The ring - do I still have it? Should I ask today? Will she be too tired? But she may be too busy the rest of the week. Will she think the box idea is corny? Will she like the restaurant? Oh God the restaurant is not where I thought it was - Crap, will we miss our reservations? Don't get cranky-you will not get cranky..

    Ok. She's enjoying the meal. Wine's good.. Wait..she looks like she's about to snooze. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered the wine. Before dessert? After dessert? No.. she'll be ready to curl up and snooze after dessert. Ok. It's now or never...!)

    Thus reached into the bag; took out the box and stepped into the beginning of a new life.

    The rest is history waiting to be written - and I can't wait to write it with you.

    I love you.

    Marlon

    ReplyDelete
  14. a lurker finally breaks her silence to say congratulations. =) that proposal seems like it belongs to a fairy tale. best wishes to you both! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. deepa,

    huwaw. when i was reading the text, i was like, "eto na, eto na yun.."

    and it was. huwaw talaga. let me be the first in our high school batch (at least, via your blog) to offer congratulations to the both of you. Godbless! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH. MY. GAWD.

    CONGRATULATIONS TATA!!! Lordy that is one gorgeous ring... and one lovely guy to have given it to you. Who would've thought, who could have imagined that it would be you and marlon, those days that we were young and ridiculous in our M01 days in college???

    So happy for both of you...! And, may I just say, talagang nagkamoment na dinocument pa talaga ang event, complete with pictures for visual support, to properly post on your blog and relive over and over...!

    Haaay ang saya-saya! :) CHEERS! Let's drink to that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to my little sister!!!! Lots and lots of love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been reading you blog for a while now, but this is my first time to leave a comment. Congratulations!!! I've been in a lot of long distance relationships before and they never worked... You gave me a new hope... Thanks, and again, congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete