Thursday, December 9

A game of chairs

Lately, I've been obsessing about decorating our soon-to-be home in Amsterdam. Excited much? We haven't even gone on house viewings yet! Since I've already been looking at flats online since getting my first whiff of this possibility way back in April, I have a rough idea of the kinds of places we'll be seeing. And I've had a lot of time to start forming a picture of how I might want our new home to look.

More often than not, the one constant in the shifting pictures in my mind are classic Eames shell chairs. Over the past few years, I've seen them in some really lovely homes on some of my favorite design blogs and have grown to really like them. They work well in all sorts of homes, bridge the gap between contemporary and vintage, and pull eclectic furnishings together beautifully. They seem to work especially in small spaces (which I'm anticipating) because of their clean lines.

 
All images from Design*Sponge.

And so I've been considering buying a pair of Eames chairs for our new home. I know, I know: aren't I supposed to be unloading furniture so I can have the pleasure of discovering new treasures in the flea markets of Europe? I just really, really love the look of these chairs! (So much for making an intelligent argument.) But I do see them as classic investment pieces that work pretty much anywhere and everywhere. And I know that once we move to Europe, getting them cheap is going to be next to impossible.

I also think they might go well with a recent purchase: an authentic marble-topped kopitiam table. I love these tables and thought it would be a terrific piece of Singapore life to bring with us into the next stop on our journey. The proportions are perfect for the tiny kitchen/dining spaces I've seen in a lot of Amsterdam flats.

Image from Second Charm.

Marlon and I found some decent, affordably-priced Eames reproductions at a store called Picket & Rail at the Furniture Mall on Beach Road. He likes the classic shell chairs well enough, but he fell head over heels in love with the rocker. Which adds another layer to our dilemma.

Image from Design*Sponge.

The movers are coming to pack up all our belongings in exactly a week's time. To buy or not to buy? A single rocker (cheaper but more occasional) or a pair of chairs (more expensive but will get more use)? We have to decide soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deeps super love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and this post got me worried. Crap we will have so much furniture if ever we do get assigned to Europe! Waaaah! And my chairs are WAAAY to big! Crap!

    ReplyDelete