Friday, July 8

Calle 13

Nearly two weeks ago at the Amsterdam Roots Festival, someone handed me a postcard advertising a gig by Calle 13 at Melkweg. I'd never heard of them before, so I decided to check them out on Spotify.

They turned out to be a really fun, not to mention Grammy-winning, reggaeton (a.k.a. Latin American hip-hop) group from Puerto Rico. Their music consists of awesome beats layered with Spanish lyrics, a language that I love the sound of. I've sampled reggaeton in the form of Daddy Yankee and Pitbull, but so far this is the group I've liked the most; they have a musicality and upbeat vibe that I've just been missing from the (admittedly mainstream) reggaeton acts I've heard so far.

The lyrics are mesmerizing enough to just listen to, and some of the quick and few flashes I've been able to translate have made me chuckle. Translated, some of their lyrics simply flow like poetry. Heck, in this particular verse I liked, they could very well be singing about life in the Philippines.
Tú no puedes comprar al viento,
Tú no puedes comprar al sol
Tú no puedes comprar la lluvia,
Tú no puedes comprar al calor.
Tú no puedes comprar las nubes,
Tú no puedes comprar mi alegría,
Tú no puedes comprar mis dolores.
You cannot buy my sun
You cannot buy my rain
You cannot buy my heat
You cannot buy my clouds
You cannot buy my happiness
You cannot buy my pain.
-- "Latinoamerica", Entren Los Que Quieran (2010)
In need of something new to listen to, preferably in a neighborhood where Latin flavor, eclectic influences and kickass beats meet? Then give Calle 13 a listen on Spotify.

1 comment: