Wednesday, September 28

A few thoughts on dreams

Parang kailan lang, ang mga pangarap ko'y kay hirap abutin...
These lyrics from Florante's Handog leaped out at me from a video posted by Will, from the current Glee Club, on my Facebook wall this evening.

Bigla kong naalala na noong kaedad ko sina Will, pangarap kong tumira sa Europa. Hindi ko alam kung paano ko gagawin, pero lagi kong iniisip na sana, balang araw, makabalik ako at makatira dito.

So ang ibig sabihin, dahil nandito ako ngayon, nagkatotoo ang pangarap ko.




Kiddies in Prague, 2001. Slight digression: why did I think I was fat?

I sometimes lose sight of the fact that I'm living a dream fulfilled: when it's cold, rainy and gray for what seems like the umpteenth day in a row; when I see other people living in fantastic locations; or when I'm slogging through a ten-page immigration document written entirely in Dutch.

How easy it is to forget that my dream came true. So when I do remember, the realization can hit so hard it sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

Though it may seem like it to people who don't know me or Marlon very well, it may seem like I got to Europe by latching on to a jet-setting expat type (or an expat-to-be) with a career that would take him around the world. But I'll tell you something not a lot of people know.

When Marlon and I first started dating, the plan was very different. I was dead set on living in Europe (how, neither of us knew... but I was going to do it!) and Marlon needed to follow me, somehow. That was why he took his overseas job with a multinational company in the first place: because he thought it would give him the best chance of following me wherever I decided to end up.

This is the first step that the man of my dreams took in making my dreams come true. He believed in me. He saw me as a person who could, and would, achieve some whacked-out dream like that. Never mind that I had zero plans. Never mind that every time I thought about what I wanted, I wanted it so bad and felt so far from having it that I easily wound up bawling every time. He simply believed in me.

Over the course of the next four years, he took another simple but very difficult step. I can sum it up in four words: he stuck it out. I mostly mean the long-distance thing, but there are other, bigger things that nearly blew us both in separate directions. But he just hung in there. And because he did, so did I.


Then, last year, when I started getting itchy feet and questioning our life in Singapore, he did one last thing that bridged the gap from there to here. He listened. It wasn't easy for him to consider such a big change, with the career he had built and the comfort we enjoyed. But he listened, and that single act encompasses so wonderful things. Being someone I felt I could talk to about anything, enough for me to open up in the first place, is one. Sharing my sense of adventure and love for travel, valuing what we agreed our marriage would be, and not being bound to money or comfort, were others.

And this is why I—why we—are here.

Thanks to PKF for the photo!

There are as many dreams as there are ways of making them come true. All I'm saying, really is that this life, and the man I'm living it with, has been one of mine.

6 comments:

  1. Si Marlon na ang ultimate Commuter Cutie, the champion of champions, LOL!

    But seriously, this is a beautiful entry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nakakatouch sobra ang post na ito. :) you two are so blessed to have each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :) Jason, hindi na siya Commuter Cutie, Biker Boy na siya ngayon haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Deeps you are inspiring me to write my own "A few thoughts on dreams" post too! I think the impression people get is that I bagged my diplomat too when in fact he was a teacher when we met. And for he 6 months that he was jobless while waiting to see if he got into the Foreign Service, it was difficult to support the path that he had chosen. TD took a pay cut and had to do a lot more work. (He used to work only 3/4 days a week for about 4 hours). And growing up not being allowed to travel out of the country, I always had dreams of living in foreign lands. Not visiting, but LIVING and exploring different countries in ways that no tourist really can. And here I am set for a lifetime of living in a different country every 2 or 3 years! A pot on dreams coming true would be a nice way to tell the Universe I am greatful. Thanks for the inspiration! Very touching post! Go you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow TDW, that's a great story. We are way overdue for a real-life face-to-face catchup! Kudos to TD for sticking to his guns and to you for supporting him. We are so blessed to have found partners who share our goals, and who make it so easy for us to share theirs. :)
    No way, I didn't know you weren't allowed to travel out of the country?! Well you have a lifetime to make up for lost time :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naiyak naman ako sa post na ito. So happy for you and Marlon.

    Finding a wonderful, loving, supportive, committed Life Partner is truly among the greatest blessings. =)

    ReplyDelete