Sunday, August 8

Saturday success

Every now and then, I like a good veggie recipe. After eating a little too much over the weekend, or one too many rich cheeses or fried foods, Marlon and I try to inject a little veggie goodness into our weekly menu. It can get a bit difficult to find something to get really enthusiastic about, as I'm very picky with vegetables. But when I came across this grilled portobello and brie burger recipe, I thought: why not?

It's pretty simple: just marinate portobello mushrooms, sliced red bell peppers and sliced squash in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper for 15 minutes. We found these kick-ass butternut squash in the supermarket. They're huge! You can do bicep curls with these things. After making four burgers, we still have more than three-quarters of the thing left. I plan to make squash and mascarpone pasta with the leftovers.

After marinating, grill all the veggies and layer them on a nice toasted hamburger bun with thin slices of brie. Marlon added some wild rocket leaves to replace the zucchini, which was missing from the supermarket.

Et voila!


Success! The portobello is a great substitute for a meat patty, as it has its own yummy juices and is the perfect size for a hamburger bun. The squash is sweet, the rocket tangy, the bell pepper gives just a little bit of crunch, and the brie is, well... brie. You can't go wrong with brie! 

The icing on the cake: two burgers with a glass of Pepsi is less than 650 calories. Yahoo! I'll definitely be making this again!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Deepa! I don't know if you remember me, I'm a friend of Pia's. Just wanted to say that sounds like a great recipe and I'm dying to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maita! Thanks for dropping by! Try it, it's super easy. I'm tempted to make it again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks yummy. Hmmm, I'd like to try it out but Vic may be looking for the meat.

    Where do I get mushrooms that big in Manila?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, si Marlon carnivore din but he really liked this. Ok naman once in a while as a break from meat. Damihan mo na lang yung brie, pampalubag-loob ;)

    I think all portobello mushrooms are that size. Wala bang portobello sa Rustans'?

    ReplyDelete