Wednesday, April 6

School days

I've been looking for art to hang alongside the two Indian miniature paintings that Marlon and I bought on our honeymoon in Rajasthan. We've already put up most of our art, and none of them seemed to go with those two paintings in particular, either in style or in theme. 

Then I realized I had just the thing to go with the Indian miniatures: a family album of old photographs of India from the 1950s and 1960s. I first discovered this album in my mom's drawer back in high school. It was packed with some things of my dad's, like old passports. I'm guessing either he owned it or my Dima, his mother, kept it for him as a chronicle of his school days.

A little bit about my dad: he was named Amitabha, but known to family and friends as Gandhi because he was born on the date of Gandhi's death. (Nicknames are a big thing in Bengali culture.) At the age of 5, he won a huge regional quiz contest where the prize was a coveted scholarship to a British-run boarding school in the Himalayas, where India's elite sent their children to study.


This was a major deal. It made him something of a golden boy among his clan, the best and brightest, the family's pride. This sort of hero status surrounded him his whole life and extended to my mom, sister and me. I really feel it whenever I go to Calcutta; as Gandhi's daughter, I get the star treatment. My dad's boarding school education led to a scholarship at AIM, and eventually to a career in trading, banking and finance in Hong Kong and Manila, then the financial capitals of Asia.

Not bad for a young boy from a simple family from Calcutta. Dima was always so proud of him. Here is Dima in her younger days. Something about this photo reminds me of my sister.


Out of all the photos in the album, it was the glimpses of my dad's boarding school life in 1950s India that really captivated me.

 I think my dad's the one on the top left, in the singlet and sailor hat.

 Second row, second from left. I've had that same expression in class pictures.

Swimming lesson.

 Military training. We had that too.

 School dance. Already happening in India in the 1950s, 
but forbidden in my high school in the 1990s. WTF.

 Sometime close to graduation, I'm guessing. My dad is seated, on the right.

There are also some beautiful vignettes of India. These pictures are so small and delicate—some are just half the size of my iPhone. This is one of the larger, sharper ones.


I've decided that my new project will be to hunt for vintage frames for my favorite photos from this album. It will be hard to choose just a few... I might end up filling an entire wall!

11 comments:

  1. These are wonderful pictures with even more interesting stories behind them. Have you read Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake or Mira Nair's adaptation with the same name. That's where I learned the importance of nicknames, having two names in Bengali culture. Nice little tribute to your father and his story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. deeps!! your father's a foreigner?! lol

    beautiful deeps! i mean.. the daughter of gahndi. your dad's quite good looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ, yes I read the book! The movie was a bit of a letdown for me though. Di ko feel si Kumar, haha.

    Pia, hahaha! I believe that line marked a turning point in our friendship LOL. Thanks, yes guapo siya, must be where I get my good looks (don't tell my mom haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about the movie. Kal Penn was awkward as young Gogol. Wish they cast actual high school age actor. The actors who played the parents though were awesome! I love Jhumpa Lahiri. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dipa, I am a college friend of your Fathers, the one with the turban in the photograph. pl write to me on my email id isnarula@hotmail.com. would like to find out more about you. Warm Regards, Inder Narula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Dipa, I am another of your father's friend from college, the person sitting next to him. It was great coincidence that my daughter while searching for some information found your blog and saw the photograph which we all have. Inder has already sent you a message. The gentleman in the centre is Deepak Dhawan who lives in Dubai, and the next to him is Sunil Mehara who is in Delhi. I live in London. Would like to hear from you and in casebyou visit London do get in touch. My e mail id is nnm.engr@gmail.com. With warm regards Narendra Maheshwari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! 
    And wow! What an interesting heritage you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judith @ JOELIX.comJune 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

    How wonderful that your father's friends found you through this blogpost! Your father looks so proud in the first picture and his business card looks very classy too: "manager" is all you need.
    By the way I totally see why the photo of Dima reminds you of your Ate. Although I've only seen her in 2D, their eyes & expression are so much alike.
    Happy Father's Day, Deepa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaand I just realized I never got in touch with them! I need to do that soon, it's long overdue.
    The business card is so minimalist classy, I could never do that haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judith @ JOELIX.comJune 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

    hahaha but yours is classy in a different way ;o)
    Never too late to get in touch though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deepa I'm so touched by this post and the comments. Mel

    ReplyDelete