Friday, April 22

Twenty minutes

Six weeks ago, I signed Marlon and myself up for a beginners' running group at the Vondelpark, Amsterdam's version of Central Park. I wanted a wallet-friendly form of exercise, but am especially bad at running (which is probably why I detested it). So I thought learning how to run "properly" and combining it with a fun group atmosphere would transform my experience of the sport.

So every Thursday at 7:45 pm (except last week when my sister was here), I ran. I quickly grew to enjoy the company of my group—11 warm and friendly Dutchies who had as little experience with running as I did. Rick, our coach, worked in sports for the disabled, a fact that did a lot to put me at ease. I had all my limbs and faculties, didn't I? So I couldn't be the worst runner he'd ever met! Rick was patient and kind, always reminding me that everyone has their own pace and I didn't have to keep up with the others. When you're perpetually at the tail end of the group, lagging way behind the Dutchies with their endless legs, hearing that can really keep you going.

Last night was our last run, the one we'd been working up to for six weeks: running for 20 minutes straight around the park. If this sounds easy to you, you must already be into running. Back in Singapore, I attempted a "couch to 5k" program where the first level was one minute of jogging alternated with a minute and a half of walking. I would be totally winded after the minute-long jog, and lived for those precious minutes of walking. I never progressed beyond that first level. 

But last night was a breakthrough. After working my way up from 2, 5, 8, 10 then 12 minutes of straight running (no walking allowed!), I was nervous that skipping last week's 15-minute training would stop me from reaching the goal of the entire course. But it didn't. Finally, running became easy, automatic even (at least after the first five to seven minutes). And running through a park buzzing with vibrant life all around me, seeing all the Dutchies out in full force to enjoy the spring sunshine with their beers and barbecues... running even became fun. 


When I saw the green fountain ("water post" in Rick's idiosyncratic English) that marked the end of my 20 minutes, I could not help but break out into a wide grin. Marlon, having seen me at the worst of my running attempts, was so proud of me. 


After a round of high fives, we walked over to the pub at the Amstelveenseweg gate of the Vondelpark to celebrate with a drink. It really did look and feel like a celebration, with a packed open-air terrace and bonfires lit all around. And that beer tasted like the sweetest thing on this good earth.


I also received a certificate from Running Holland. If I ever forget that I was able to run 20 minutes straight and how good I felt afterwards, I have this to remind me!


But why would I forget? Because I signed up for the next course, 6.6km or two to three rounds around the Vondelpark, next May. And I'm looking forward to surprising myself all over again.

2 comments:

  1. thats freaking awesome deeps! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am so amazed that you guys are going for this fitness thing. I can't imagine running here in the Jakarta heat (tamad lang talaga ako!) hehe That was a well deserved beer!

    ReplyDelete