Monday, September 20

Sandwich bar, day 1


yes, i am a sandwich maker.

today i am setting up my own private sandwich bar in the office pantry. i am waiting for everyone to finish lunch and clear out so that i can make my debut sandwich in peace. i think the office people think i have weird eating habits-- especially when they chanced upon me in the pantry during my pre-bangkok no-rice phase. is the sight of mounds of arroz ala cobana-style giniling without rice really such an odd thing? anyhoo, i want to avoid further dubious stares, so i'm delaying lunch a bit.

i happened upon two things that gave me this brilliant idea. one was a copy of good housekeeping with yummy sandwich recipes. the other was one of my mom's cookbooks, called superfast food, which contains yummy but quick-to-prepare healthy food (it's also the most unused cookbook in the house). i thought of going on a sandwich semi-diet, para healthy and filling kuno. i also thought it might be a good way to scrimp on lunch. may, one of the girls from elec, sells sandwiches for Php 20 apiece, so i figured my cost would be even less.

which...er, hasn't really worked out. for one thing, i think i went way overboard doing the groceries for my sandwich bar.
  • whole wheat loaf, 10 slices
  • washington apple, 2 (i gave one to nanay)
  • mayo, 1 sachet
  • santi's peppered pastrami, 100g
  • romaine lettuce, 1 head (very bad idea to freeze this. i now have lots of soggy greens)
  • dijon mustard, 12oz
  • butter, 100g
  • cream cheese spread
  • cheddar cheese slices, 6
  • plain old lettuce, 1 head (this is safe and still crunchy, having escaped my freezing frenzy)
  • kani (crabstick)
  • smoked salmon, 100g
this stuff should last me all the way through next week, except for the bread. it HAS to. that's the only way this fabulous idea will justify my grocery expenses.

now, if you'll excuse me, peppered pastrami calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment