Monday, January 16

Brain storm

one of my favorite classes in college was a creativity class i took under supercool jules dacanay (who is a living, breathing jack from will and grace).

it seemed like all we did at the time was have fun and do crazy things that non-comm majors envied, but now that i work in a creative capacity, i'm realizing the full value of the things we did in class.

in one class, we explored the process of generating ideas. jules told us about the 3 B's, where lightning strikes us most often (well, figuratively at least): bedroom, bathroom (yes, on the trono or in the shower), or bus (or at least in transit).

i thought that made a lot of sense. some of the most lucid moments of my life came after a whole lot of muni-muni in europe, during the twelve-, sixteen-, and even twenty-one hour cross-continent bus rides on tweety, the glee club's giant yellow tour bus.

and so it seems fitting that my latest, biggest work-related rush comes from a concept that popped into my head on a late-night jeepney ride home from work. my boss pitched that concept to the mother of all clients this morning. he returned to the office happy and effusive, spouting the words "record-breaking!" (in terms of client approval time), "huling-huli!", and the most important of all... "approved!"

he was positively glowing as he spilled the beans about the clients' reception. nakakatuwa. especially since i had been wondering if my performance has been ok. ang gagaling kasi ng mga tao dito, feeling ko mahirap umangat.

and especially since i found out that (not from him) that he calls me and my partner something really... swell. pero sa akin na lang 'yon. something for me to savor when work gets stressful.

--

also got a rush from a brainstorming session i had with a new partner at work. we spent the weekend stewing in our own ideas, relaxing our minds, and met up for a two-minute brainstorm at my cubie this afternoon.

sobrang natuwa ako kasi i just showed him one line of copy i was toying with and then BAM! as in literally, brain storm, parang tinamaan siya ng kidlat. like... spontaneous combustion. you could almost see the sparks going off in his head. a concept was born within heartbeats, pitched to boss, boss loved it ("ang lakas niyan!"), and just like that, we were officially cookin'.

i'm starting to really, really like my job.

update: i realized that the one line of copy i pitched to my partner came to me while i was taking a shower. the 3 B's rock!

1 comment: