Friday, June 24

Bergen aan Zee

Marlon had Thursday and Friday off the week we got back from Paris (they celebrate the Ascension here, who knew?). So it seemed like a good idea to squeeze in a quick getaway to the beach. We picked Bergen aan Zee, a seaside town a short train and bus ride from Amsterdam, and booked an overnight stay at a small hotel in town.

By the time I got back from Paris, I was so wiped out from keeping up with the Glee Club (and Mimi, and the frenetic city itself) that packing for another trip and getting on another train was the last thing I wanted to do. If we hadn't already pre-paid for the hotel, I would have happily skipped this trip. But because we'd already spent the money, we decided to go anyway, leaving after lunch on Thursday. 

Bergen is a picturesque town with a relaxed vibe, and markedly upscale as I could see from its restaurants and boutiques. It's full of old, pretty one- or two-story houses like these. 


To get to the beach from our hotel in the center of town, Marlon and I would have to cycle some 4 kilometers... which would have been fine and dandy with me if we didn't run into the problem I always seem to have in Holland. Which is finding a suitably me-sized bicycle.


With no children's bikes available at the hotel and the only bike rental closed for the Ascension holiday, there was nothing left to do except strap our beach blanket onto the rear rack of Marlon's rented bike, hop on, and cling to my huffing and puffing husband for the next 4 kilometers. The bike ninjas of the Netherlands may scoff at this mileage, but for two relative noobs like us, it was no joke. If I ever had any doubts about Marlon's love for me, he sure proved it with this bike ride. 


Still, it was a beautiful day and a pretty ride. We passed some huge and stunning summer homes, no doubt belonging to obscenely wealthy residents. Tall, lush green trees lined the bike path, cooling and shading us on the way.


I'm beginning to get used to the look of Dutch beaches: grassy dunes overlooking long expanses of sand and shallows. But in Bergen, I saw these for the first time, rows and rows of them harboring sun loungers and stretching for miles along the beach.


I don't know what they're called, aside from advertising space. But when the staff at the beach restaurants started packing these up at 6pm, it became all too clear what their function was: to block the wind. Which was damn strong. And cold.  Marlon and I didn't last longer than 15 minutes on the beach without them. Mapapamura ka sa lamig!

Searching for shelter from the wind, I was drawn to these bright yellow wicker cabins for rent. 


They're sort of like big rectangular boxes with cushions, armrests wide enough to hold drinks and small plates, and large drawers underneath for your beach stuff. Most importantly, they make an excellent barrier against the wind.


The colorful lining inside makes for pretty pictures too!


After we'd had enough of huddling (and cuddling) against the wind, we decided to bike back to town before it got too dark. Poor Marlon was so tired that we ended up walking a full third of the way back. After a surprisingly good dinner in the center of town, it was back to our little (and I mean really little) room at the Hotel Marijke.


I thought the trip would tire me out, but our quick seaside jaunt recharged my batteries. Then again, I wasn't the one who had to pedal away with my extra weight. Maybe I need to ask Marlon how he felt about the trip! I'd love to go back to Bergen, though. And next time, I'm bringing my bike on the train.

6 comments:

  1. Teka lang, pano ka umangkas dun sa bike? Nakatayo? Inupuan mo yung blanket? I'm trying to envision... as I will attempt to make my husband prove his love for me on his brand new bike bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I straddled the metal rack on the back of the bike, and yes, I sat on the blanket. The soles of my feet were just barely resting on these two tiny bolts in the center of the back wheel. Can you say desperate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess without that metal rack, there's no place to sit. Mental note, must get a metal rack...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. It's really useful if your hubby wants to carry things on his bike. Marlon has saddlebags attached to the one on his bike at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images!
    Etsy.com/shop/chezjolly

    ReplyDelete