Tuesday, August 30

Garden state

Last month's visit to Versailles was actually the second time I've been there. The first time was exactly 10 years ago (eeep!) with the Glee Club. We had some bonus miles from our bus company, so the group decided to use it on a day trip to Versailles. 

However, it was a Monday and the palace was closed. We only got to see the gardens, which were free. We would have been extremely bummed if not for the fact that the Versailles gardens are, like, jumongous. Never underestimate the fun-generating ability of a bunch of Pinoys with cameras.


The gardens of Versailles then... and now.


How's this for another before and after shot?



Nobody is allowed to comment on how I looked like I was stretched in post. I'm not exactly happy about this decade-long, er, expansion project. You are however allowed to comment that 10 years later, I am at least dressed better than my neneng self. By the way, this outfit is part of the two-part guest post I did for Plus Size Fasyon Mudra.


In the summer, Versailles charges a €7 admission fee for its gardens. In exchange for this little sum, you get the perfect soundtrack for a French frolic. Music from several appropriate historic periods is piped in amidst the tall green hedges, serene fountains and assorted Greek bronze figures. 



Not all of us were happy about having to pay for something that was free on our last visit. On the bright side, the music was well-chosen, discreet and did a lot to enhance the ambience and stimulate the imagination. 




Not only did I keep expecting to happen upon Marie Antoinette amidst a flock of poodles, the music  made me feel like I should be laughing a coquettish, lady-in-waiting kind of laugh and playing hide-and-seek in a powdered wig and taffeta ballgown. Makes me wish I hadn't left the talcum powder and the whalebone corset in my other handbag.

4 comments:

  1. did you stumble upon her "farm house"? that was my favorite spot. what song would they use, i wonder... cotton-eyed joe? love na love ng mga frenchies yun for some reason. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I would have loved to see it but we didn't have much time. Also, there was also a separate admission fee for that, which I don't recall from my previous visit. Perhaps, another peak season pauso? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. apparently if waited 30 min more we would've gotten in for free. harumph. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, that red "leather" bag from 10 yrs ago, what a classic.

    ReplyDelete