Thursday, August 25

Walkabout

I had to take care of some work while my guests were gallivanting around Amsterdam, so it was only really on their last day that I got to take them around some of our favorite places.

While Cathy was getting some much-needed rest, Marlon organized a boys-only cycling trip to Vondelpark. He recently bought himself a proper Dutch bike, so Jonel took his old bike from Singapore out for a spin. 


Meanwhile, I went with Trina and Pia on a leisurely walkabout of Amsterdam's many little streets—specifically the Jordaan, a district that I've long wanted to explore.


It's been a while since I've just aimlessly walked around, and I was reminded how much I love this town. Whether old or new, there's always something interesting to see.


I've started learning Dutch (which deserves a separate post!) and expanding my meagre vocabulary bit by bit by bit. Each new word is like a key that unlocks a small part of the city at a time. Out of the indecipherable jumble of letters that Dutch often seems to be ("parang Ingles na minali-mali ang spelling", observed one guest), words now pop out with their meanings fluttering in the air like flags.

It's not unlike being deep in thought and not really seeing anything until you realize a friend is waving hello. This was how I felt when I recognized the word boom, meaning tree, on this building. Then I saw that nearly the whole block was painted with the names of different trees. A mini-revelation!


In a summer that's on the list of the five worst Dutch summers in a hundred years, I've come to realize that bright blue skies and big fluffy white clouds are a rare gift. We were blessed with them that day.


Shops, even when closed on Sundays, always beckon. I felt a bit of buyer's remorse upon seeing this armchair. This is exactly the kind of chair I wanted, but we ended up getting something else.


The things we see always seem to link back to people we know. We thought this pink turban would be perfect for Dada (or at least her alter ego, Doña Nelda)!


And bikes, of course, always mean Elaine and Paul. I wouldn't mind one of these turf crates for myself either.


I'd love to live in the Jordaan. There's so much character in its narrow streets. But I'm not so sure I'd like to live in this blister-infested house.


Crazy cat lady alert! It's the first time I'd ever seen a cat being walked. I wonder how Rogue would take to it?



Of course, there were the famous canal views. 


Never get tired of these. I wonder if I'll get to the point where I can tell the names of all the canals by sight.


I still have one big item on my must-do list that I haven't ticked off: rent a boat and go for a leisurely ride around Amsterdam with good friends and a bottle of wine. This is such a common sight and it always looks like the people in the boats are having so much fun.


We couldn't let our guests leave without tasting Winkel's famous apple pie.


After dessert, dinner: Dutch pannekoeken at the Pancake Bakery on Prinsengracht. Maybe not the best pancake place for me (I think the one we took Gutsy to was better, lucky girl!), but the only one that would fit a group our size. 


This is how we felt to have the happy house emptied the next day. LOL!



Okay, maybe I wasn't too sad... because when they left, I left with them and ended up spending a few days in Paris! But that deserves another post.

4 comments:

  1. that was a lovely leisurely in belgium! can't wait till our next walk about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gaz! I can see I'm so bundat after that apple pie and then the pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you complain so much that maybe you should live in france, but your address is gorgeous! my turn to be inggit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marj, it's just the weather getting me down. I miss the sun. Never realized it would be such a big factor. But that aside, I love it here :)

    ReplyDelete