Tuesday, November 22

Cat country

Upon our arrival in Istanbul, Marlon and I were both delighted and relieved to find not only a lovely apartment in a fantastic location, but the cutest, most endearing welcoming committee ever. Say hello to Georgie and Bavaria!


Georgie and Bavaria belong to Suzan, our fantastic Airbnb host in Istanbul. My personal theory is that cats are an indicator of a great apartment and a thoughtful host; I was definitely right this time.

Black-and-motley Georgie was the most affectionate cat ever, purring and cozying up to us literally from the moment we walked in the door. (Note: hire her to give Rogue some coaching.) She even climbed into bed for a cuddle on our last morning... just like Rogue would if we were at home! As you can see, she had lots of bonding moments with Marlon. Bavaria was more reticent, but being deaf and very old, that was easy to forgive.

Turkey is cat country. There are big, beautiful, fluffy cats everywhere—the type that would be pet store material in Manila. Being the crazy cat lady that I am, I couldn't resist snapping pictures of the cats I saw. Coo over the cuteness, after the jump!



In Amsterdam there are shop cats, restaurant cats and even pub cats, but street cats are a rare breed. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I got to Turkey. They were everywhere—yowling to be fed under the table in Goreme or sleeping outside a jewelry store in Istanbul. And though they were always underfoot, not once in six days did I see a single Turk kick or even shoo away a cat. I even saw a hulking, macho leather-clad biker type bend down to scratch the cat sleeping underneath his bike.

Even the (slightly) posh restaurant we treated ourselves to on our last evening in Istanbul had its own cats, complete with their own bowl of food and water by the door. It's hard to claim to be really posh with two fat cats like these sprawled across the floor. And I like that.


Dog lovers, I haven't forgotten you. Say hello to the scruffy scoundrel of central Goreme!



Don't say I didn't throw you a bone. Har har har. 

3 comments:

  1. I should go to Turkey pala. I love cats! But I have this tendency to adopt/ kidnap any stray I come across. Pwede kaya yun sa Turkey? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to rescue/adopt strays too. Pwedeng pwede yan sa Turkey, there are so many street cats I don't think one would be missed! Georgie (the black cat in this post) was a street cat adopted by our host.

    ReplyDelete