Wednesday, November 9

Up, up and away

I knew Marlon and I were going to arrive in Goreme past midnight. I also knew that we would have to be picked up at the hotel before dawn. So I knew there was more than a slight chance that I would look back at my 30th birthday pictures and think that I looked like the biggest living eyebag that ever walked this earth. But I knew, more than anything, that I wanted this to be the first thing I did upon turning 30.

So I went for it. My first hot-air balloon flight! And because there are times when even pictures are not enough, I made a video so you could all come along for the ride.


I was stumped for a soundtrack until my wonderful friend Jeline sent me a link to "One Day Like This" by Elbow. It's awesome to have friends who have great taste in music. Thanks Jeliney!

Oh, and I think it's so cool that the date of my 30th birthday is printed right on my flight certificate.

Some notes on the flight after the jump:

I have a fear of heights. Observation decks? With glass floors? Hate 'em. So I was a bit worried about how I would respond to this flight. But hot air balloons are now my favorite way to reach the skies. The takeoff is unbelievably gentle. It helps that you always feel something solid—the basket—under your feet. I didn't even feel the balloon leaving the ground.


Speaking of heights, I had the misfortune to be riding with the loudest, most annoying woman in the world. She just wouldn't. Stop. Talking. Everything, and I mean everything she saw triggered a barrage of verbal diarrhea.

"Ohmygodlook, a Ford Everest. I want a Ford Everest, honey I really want one of those. Beth tells me they give great mileage. Ohmygod, a cat. So cute. There are so many cats here. It's unbelievable. Do you know why there are so many cats here? Ohmygoodlook, the balloons! There are the balloons, honey! Do you see the balloons? They look so scary! Ohmygodwait. Is that fire? Are they on fire? ARE THEY ON FIRE?!?! I don't want to be inside the one that looks like it's on fire!" Lady, there is a reason they are called hot air balloons. What do you think creates the hot air?

It got so uncomfortably loud in the van ("Small space! Loud sounds!" is what we used to tell our playgroup toddlers) that even her boyfriend/husband tried to shut her up tactfully by saying, "Wow. I didn't know you were so talkative in the morning." She retorted: "I'm only like this when I'm scared." It was like this all the way until we got into the air.


All 16 of us in the balloon were the most unfortunate recipients of a blow-by-blow commentary on how nervous she was at any given moment. To the pilot: "So, you do know what you're doing right? Have you been doing this long? I just want to be sure." Pilot's semi-sarcastic reply, delivered with a smile: "Oh yes. About two whole weeks.

While up in the clouds: "Down! Let's go down. Down is good. Down is a great idea." Lady, I don't know about you, but I didn't pay €150 for "down." We all paid for up.

Here's the clincher. The pilot attempts to reassure her with a few facts about flying. Her response: "Oh no, I know all about flying. I fly Cessnas. Back home in Arizona I fly planes all the time." WHUUUT? Then why the heck would you be nervous about—oh, never mind! I'm 30 now, I can't afford to create any more wrinkles.

For a blissful, soaring hour and a half, this hot air balloon ride made me feel like I was in heaven. Too bad I had to share it with the traveler from hell!

12 comments:

  1. That is SO beautiful and amazing!!! What a happy birthday it must have been!! - Katherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing way to spend your birthday! You will certainly never forget it! I might not either! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Deepa! :) I've been following your blog for a while. Great writing btw. And now I can see why you earn your living as an editor - I love the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone!
    Iggy, perfect reference. IRMA DALDAL nga!
    Rebekah, thanks for dropping by. I really thought it would be scary. But it was such a gentle ride.
    Eper, thank you! Lurkers who delurk really make my day, haha!
    Actually, I'm not really an editor. I'm a freelance writer and producer. But I had to learn the basics of editing on the job. I also took an intensive Final Cut Pro course just a few weeks before I left Sg, so I'm an Apple-certified FCP user. But there is still so much I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi deepa!

    nice video. buti hindi nakasama sa video yung madaldal na ale.

    -ate ni elaine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ate Ays (ate talaga)! Actually kaya ko nilagyan ng music para di siya kasama. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful - amazing to see so many balloons there. What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow deeps. Just wow. I got teary nearing the end of your video. It really was the perfect song. I think it captured it. And I even forgot about the madaldal woman! Hay. If only you could have muted her and played this song the entire time, it would have been perfect no?

    I super love your camera. Were you using your wide angle lens for this? I think I must get one!!! Please share what cam you use and what lens? Thanks!!

    Your video and photos are just so breathtaking. Iba talaga!

    ReplyDelete