Thursday, November 17

Just a girl

Now that I'm done with Cappadocia, I can move on to blogging about Istanbul! But before that, I thought I'd take a breather to put up the fashion illustration I finished last week in watercolor class.


Penny has been pushing me to let to go of my nitty-gritty details and learn a faster, looser style that uses more brushwork than drawing. One of the ways to do that is to copy a work done in that style. I chose this piece to study because I've always been interested in fashion illustration, and I was getting a little bored with landscapes.

I had lots of fun with this girl, and she taught me a lot! I learned simply by looking at this piece and analyzing how it's done (how the colors are mixed and how layers are built up), before attempting it myself. She didn't take too much time at all, and I felt very relaxed and free painting her. I'm looking forward to doing more of her kind, and applying the style to my own original illustrations. 

9 comments:

  1. Galing!!! Please let us know once you'll be selling your art na ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Fran :D I'm working on something for next year, but in the meantime just holler you like anything I've posted here. I've had an offer for one of my paintings via Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kabog na kabog naman 'to! Pwedeng pang editorial sa mga magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! are you selling your watercolor paintings on your soon-to-be etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, dapat mag-collab tayo for your next fashion illustration (pero parang antagal pa ng Miss Universe, lol). You sketch, I color! :D
    Cris, thanks! I was thinking of something else (top secret!) for the Etsy shop, but now I'm thinking... hmm, should I include watercolor paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, I think you should include your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please let us know when you launch your etsy shop. Definitely, include your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a natural, Deepa!

    I'm totally in awe of anyone who can bend watercolours to their will - and with such finesse! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for dropping by, Chi! I'm honored to receive a compliment from someone whose fashion illustrations are so fab :D

    ReplyDelete