Saturday, December 24

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from the warm, humid frenzy of Manila!

I flew home with Marlon via KLM last Saturday. Since then, we've been spending time with family and friends whom I've missed, thus the inactivity on this blog. Next week, we're off to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary in Boracay (yay, warm waters and white sand!) so there will be more radio silence through New Year's. 

In the meantime, let me leave you with some photos that should get you in a lovely Christmasy mood (if you aren't already feeling it!). I've always wanted to visit the famous German Christmas markets, so Marlon and I took the train to Koln (a.k.a. Cologne) a few weeks ago for a weekend trip.

I've been to Koln with the Glee Club. That was 10 years ago, and I never thought I would come back. Being there with Marlon, and looking up to see the massive Dom (Cathedral) all lit up, gave me goosebumps. I simply couldn't believe I was there again. It was another one of those "funny how life works out" moments.


Being at a Weinachtmarkt, or German Christmas market, was like being in a Christmas Disneyland. I'd been warned by German friends that Koln was rather commercial as Christmas markets go, but that didn't faze me.


With much to gawk at, laugh at, buy, eat, drink and enjoy, how could I not love every single shimmering, sparkling moment of it?





After the Christmas market at the Dom, which is the biggest one in the city, we walked to the one in the Alter Stadt, or Old Town. This one was smaller, more intimate and felt more quaint.



It was also mobbed by 10pm!



This year, the Alter Stadt market was all done up in an adorable gnome theme that I loved!



On our last day, before catching the train back to Amsterdam, we dropped by the Markt der Engel, or Angel's Market, at Neumarkt.




Three out of eight Christmas markets is not too bad, right? It was a wonderful weekend that really put us in the holiday mood. I would love to visit other markets, in other towns, next year. I'm sure each one has its own charm... and its own selection of tasty treats and pretty baubles.


Wherever and however you're spending the holidays, I wish you lots of laughter, music, good food and great company. I wish you joy and belonging amongst the people you love most and who know you best. Because that's what Christmas is to me. 

Merry Christmas from me and Marlon!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Happy Anniversary & Happy New Year, Deepa & Marlon! :)

    ReplyDelete