Saturday, December 31

Year four

Marlon and I celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary with five days in Boracay. Holing up in our own little world is just the kind of thing marriage gives us license to do, without setting off a wave of wagging tongues!

Financially, 2011 has not been the best year for us—although we were prepared for that when we made the decision to move to Europe. So, no gifts this year. But just out of curiosity, I looked up a list of traditional wedding anniversary gifts. We've never followed the traditions (year three, leather = missed opportunity!) but upon seeing that year four is supposed to be fruit or flowers, I suggested that we share a Boracay favorite to mark the occasion. 


Yep, for our fourth anniversary we gave each other mango shakes from Jonah's! Slurping them in the shallows, under the sun, was absolutely perfect: another great memory to add to our growing list.


 Then Marlon made me funny things out of sand...


like a perfect white sphere carved with our initials...


an "Angry Birds" inspired effigy of Rogue (a.k.a. "Angry Cat")...


... and the silliest gift of all, a "love lump" in the sand. I told you this was a low-budget anniversary!


Thank goodness for Boracay's spectacular sunsets. Instant romance! Libre pa!


We both love, love, LOVE Dos Mestizos and make sure we have at least one meal there wherever we're in Boracay. So we didn't even consider any other restaurant for our anniversary dinner. Aside from their scrumptious paella, we also love their ostras fritas (fried oysters with aioli).


And don't even get me started on the bread pudding. My mouth is literally watering at the memory.


We decided to hoof it all the way back to our digs in Station 1. After walking past the perya atmosphere of Station 3 (all I can say is: not for me), I heard a familiar voice at Bom Bom Bar. Hello, Armand!


I've known Armand for years but was my first time to see him perform a full set.  In fairness nag-enjoy ako. He sure knows how to spread good vibes. And his songs are catchy. #proud

So that was our anniversary. Simple and sweet, but filled with all the things we love to enjoy together: travel, food, music and each other's company. I couldn't ask for more. 

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwwww! So glad you had such a blissful anniversary!! :D

    Funny how the simplest gestures are usually the most romantic .....

    Have an utterly fabulous New Year!

    ReplyDelete