Friday, February 3

First snow

Thanks to my obsessive monitoring of the weather reports (which are always accurate here), I was prepared for a cold snap this week—temperatures ranging from -15℃ to -1℃. It would be the first time this winter that temperatures dipped below zero. This meant that yes, it would be freezing, but we could also have snow and go ice skating on the canals.

On Monday morning, I woke up to this.


Nope, it wasn't snow yet... only frost that had formed overnight. A teaser of things to come, this scratchy thin layer of ice soon melted away.

Today, it finally happened. As soon as the snow began to fall, a little before lunchtime, I went crazy monkey giddy. I was glued to the windows shrieking "Let's go! Let's go!" like a banshee on crack, forcing Marlon to call it an early lunch so we could get dressed and go out into the fast-falling whiteness. When we stepped out into our street, I learned the difference between frost and real snow.
 

The air outside felt completely different, not the normal heavy cold of the Dutch winter. It changed us into kids again. As you can tell, Marlon was really happy to be working from home today.


The street was completely deserted but for the two of us and a woman sprinkling salt on the road. We must have looked like lunatics to the neighbors. We couldn't help it... it was our first real snow!


Click on through to enjoy this snowy day with us!


Right in front of our house was where Marlon and I made our first snowballs. The snow was fluffy and flaky, not at all compact. We forced it into snowballs anyway, and threw them at each other.


Then we decided to take a short walk around the neighborhood.



A Christmas gift from my sister from her stint in Norway, these boots were made for walking... in the snow. Thank you, Ate!



I thought people who'd left cars parked outside might probably be pissed to see their cars covered in snow. So I left a few smileys to cheer them up, just in case.


We walked down to the Stadionkade, the canal closest to our house. A thin layer of ice had formed, freezing boats into the canal. Everything was covered with white and looked so peaceful.


Marlon found a large branch, which he used to carve our initials into the canal. #sweet


We took portraits of each other with my beloved 50mm prime lens.


Snow as natural reflector = awesome lighting. 


This being Amsterdam, there were snow-covered bikes everywhere. They looked more magical and less utilitarian, thanks to a thick dusting of snow. 


Not all the bikes were left to gather snow. Nothing gets between the Dutch and their favorite form of transportation! The biking never stops here.


Everything I saw around me made me feel light, calm, free. It was a special time. I can't describe how happy I felt, but I'll always remember.



Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

12 comments:

  1. ah that first year in the snow... brings back memories of our first year here when i coaxed my husband to take his snowboard out to the backyard. your pics are very nice! but im still thankful for our mild winter this year. hope your camera didnt get wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uy, i have that lens din pala. it's pretty sharp for such a small, light lens, isnt it? i got that to tide me over until i could afford a macro or a really good portrait lens. marlon picked you a good one, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical day! Loved the pictures :) You both look so happy! I can't wait t have my first snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesomeness Deeps! i can't wait to have my first snow day too! ganda ng photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. soooo pretty!!! and the snow's cool too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I feel like saying "Weeee!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh! you guys are crazy! my winter experience in Austria ages ago took a toll on my ugly skin! the mere sight of your photos make me nangangati na! :)

    Pepe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winner ang portraits! And those smileys made me smile; what a nice surprise for the owners :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're pictures are magical Deeps. I love the portraits especially! Ganda ng shot ni Marlon of you!! The snow on your hair and lashes... so romantic!

    P.S. Marlon looks like he is peeing wood! Hahaha! I know I am just weird! =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hailey Idaho is similar with their bikers. They pull on the flannel lined pants, put chains on their tires, and bike off to work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was visiting my best friend in Amsterdam that day (I arrived February 2nd). I've never been anywhere further than Asia before, so I've never seen snow until that day. I was ecstatic. :-)

    My photos weren't very good, I'm afraid. But I'm glad I found this post because yours just transported me back to that magical day - a real respite from Cebu horrid 30-degree weather at present. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a magical day, indeed. I'm happy to have brought back those memories for you!

    ReplyDelete