Wednesday, May 4

Sibling revelry

A week before Easter, Marlon and I welcomed our first official houseguest in the person of my sister, Sheila. 


Many awesome things transpired during, and because of, her visit. First and foremost among them was the cleanup of the spare bedroom, and its transformation from disaster area/dumping ground for assorted junk into a hospitable and rather pretty guest space.


I loved being able to finally do girly things, things that I've learned not to foist on Marlon. Such as hours upon hours of window shopping...

Loved this gold bag by A.P.C. Hope to find it at the A.P.C. outlet in Paree!

Move over, Kate Moss... make way for Kate Mouse!

... during which, naturally, some actual shopping also took place.

 My new suede shoes: comfy lace-up sandal/booties from Bershka

Our girly pursuits also extended to gratuitous camwhoring...

Huli ka, Ate!

... and camwhoring's style blog-inspired subset, known as outfit shots. It was so nice to just go "Outfit shot!" without reservation and have someone automatically know what to do. I haven't trained the husband in this area yet. Nahihiya pa ako. But with a sister, hiya does not apply.

Outfit shot! on Prinsengracht

Outfit shot! at Museumplein

Outfit shot! in the Jordaan

Finally, it wouldn't have been a girly week without our shared appreciation of the many... er, ways that Amsterdam is superior to Singapore, KL and Oslo (all cities we've lived in). We didn't agree though on whether or not it is superior to Manila in terms of eye candy. 

 Ben Affleck isdatchu? Maybe 10 years from now!

From the tram rides to the police at Schiphol airport, the Dutch men did not disappoint. It must have been the weather! Salamat, mga ginooat di naman ako napahiya sa aking bisita.

Kikay pursuits aside, it was great to just show my sister around my new home, my new life, and take her to some places that have become fast favorites in the four months that I've lived in Amsterdam.

Lipsmackingly authentic Chinese food at Nam Kee in Zeedijk 
(complete with MSG headache!)

Dutch design for your home at Moooi Gallery
merchandised with playfulness and panache 

The yummiest (refillable!) giant margaritas, 
caramel crepes and Mexican grub at Los Pilones

Green serenity at the Begijnhof, a 14th-century courtyard tucked into the busy Spui 

Lazy sun-drenched afternoon at the Vondelpark with a good book

Steak and lobster at Restaurant Red on Keizersgracht

Having my sister around also gave me a great excuse to go out, explore the city, and discover some new favorites. Call me weird, but I prefer to keep my exploring down to a minimum when Marlon is at work. He gets so envious (not that he stops me), I end up feeling sorry for the poor guy—what with me out and about in this gorgeous city while he has to stay cooped up in the office all day, 5 days a week.

 Apres Anne Frank House, La Perla's crisp wood-fired pizzas

 Enjoying an appeltart, coffee and sunshine at Cafe P96, a boat cafe on Prinsengracht

 The Friday book market at the Spui

Besides, going out and exploring is just so much more fun with company. So I (and Marlon, on the weekend) went on the tourist trail for the first time since moving here and finally got to tick off some tourist staples.

 Requisite tourist photo at Dam Square

 Amsterdam's 'floating' flower market, the Bloemenmarkt




 Rediscovering a girlhood heroine at the Anne Frank House

 After the Rijksmuseum, camwhoring at the giant Iamsterdam sign in Museumplein

Day trip to Keukenhof, Holland's famous (and eye-popping!) tulip garden

Whew! Ang dami pala naming nagawa! Not bad considering we never left the house before lunchtime, in true Paul fashion.


It's funny, I was doing the hosting (okay, with significant help from Marlon, haha) but I really have to say thank you, Ate! It was so much fun having you here!

3 comments:

  1. what a lovely post!

    1) i cant wait for my sisters to visit me
    2) i cant wait to visit u
    3) totally loving ur outfits!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll be the tie-breaker. I'm the one that lives in Manila. And there is no eye candy here. PERIOD.

    Put it this way...we were extremely happy with the eye candy in SG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures and adventures Deeps! There is so much eye candy in Manila if you hang out at the right places, with the right peeps - which is unfortunately not the case here in Jakarta! =P

    ReplyDelete