Monday, May 23

Coriander & co.

Back in Singapore, our condo unit had a balcony with a tiny box filled with soil. "Look, sweetie! We can plant an herb garden!" I sighed with all the dewy-eyed rapturousness of a new wife. In the three years we lived in that condo, you think we ever got around to doing it? Hah.

It turns out all I needed to bring this long-slumbering herb garden fantasy to life was... spring. Just as a deadline spurs a procrastinator into action, the thought of "I can only grow things outside until September!" provided the impetus to finally start cracking my green thumb...

Which started out looking a lot like a black thumb. The first few pots of herbs I bought died a fiery death, sun-dried to a McCormicky crisp during the week that we were away in Portugal. Burned by that experience, I resolved to try a new, two-pronged approach with the replacements I bought. 

Part one consisted of repotting the herbs in bigger pots. Marlon's logic: bigger pots, more soil, longer to dry out. The afternoon before we left for Oslo, he biked to the nearest Blokker (a Dutch chain with very affordable basic household items) and came back with these stainless steel metal window boxes.


I did the replanting out on the balcony. It was nice to get my hands dirty, literally. I used to love watering the garden and digging up weeds when I was a kid. I haven't felt soil between my fingers in ages.


Part two of my survival strategy consisted of showing my herbs some love: by naming them and talking to them. (Alert, cuckoo gardening lola in the making!) I was toying between Fernando Cilantro and Alexander Coriander for the (duh) coriander, but ended up going with Alexander. (I think it was influenced by Patrick's wife giving birth that weekend in Athens and naming the baby Alexandros.)


Paisley Parsley was christened by Therese on Twitter, and appealed to my deep and abiding love for paisley. Marlon later countered that we could have gone with Bob Parsley instead and given Alexander a gay Rasta boyfriend. It's hard to admit I dropped the ball on this one.

I made up for it, though, by bringing Rosemary Gil into the world. A seriously Pinoy pop culture-deprived Marlon did not get the significance of this name. The real Rosemarie Gil won my eternal devotion as the haughty evil stepmother in the 80s campfest, Nympha, where Alma Moreno played... you guessed it, a nympho.


A peek at her IMDB profile reveals a slew of classics such as Bata Pa Si Sabel, Burlesk Queen, Bagets and Nardong Putik mingling with such dazzlingly campy titles as Bruka: Queen of Evil, Night of the Cobra Woman, and Fight Batman Fight! Plus, she played (ting alert!) Tingting Cojuangco in a TV miniseries. How could I not want my rosemary to take after this fabulous woman?

Beside the divine Miss Gil is the only plant that I have ever tried to grow from seed. A species that's... uh, abundant in Amsterdam, it has yet to be named but has already begun to sprout. My black thumb might just turn out to be green after all.

4 comments:

  1. Bentang benta si Rosemary Gil!!!

    But wait, pano nagka-Tingting Cojuangco sa isang miniseries? Ala E! True Hollywood Story ba ito?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to IMDB, A Dangerous Life ang title. It seems to be somekindofan '80s American miniseries set in the Marcos era. Kalerks ang cast, Rez Cortez as Gringo Honasan! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094445/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a herb garden too! You should get also get plant label para cute.
    in my old apartment we had Basil Valdes, Vera the Aloe Vera Wang and Forgie the forget me not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha winner ang Aloe Vera Wang! Good idea, makagawa nga ng plant labels.

    ReplyDelete