Thursday, May 26

An evening at the opera

When my sister and I were planning this Oslo trip last year, I was thrilled to learn that the dates of our visit coincided with the one-night-only concert of one of the greatest performers in opera today... the awesome Cecilia Bartoli. I had to see her. I'm the only one in my family who is into this stuff but I managed to drag them all with me.


It was a gloomy, rainy evening when we went to the Operaen, Norway's multimillion-euro opera and ballet house. Rising out of the gray and the mist, the Operaen seemed like some mythical fortress of snow and ice. So Nordic!


But really, I was awestruck. This is easily the most stunning concert hall I have ever seen in my life.


Though I was happy to have a wide-angle lens to capture it all, the pictures don't do it justice. It was really hard to choose photos for this post!


Built to the tune of € 500 million (PhP 30.7 BILLION, just to boggle your mind), this is nothing less than a modern-day temple to culture and the arts. Spending that kind of public money on a concert hall makes a powerful endorsement of music that musicians all over the world, particularly in a country like ours, would kill for. 


Everything from the curving walls of clean blond wood... 


... to practical considerations such as the coatroom and cocktail tables... 



... even the bathroom, spoke of everything Scandinavian design is famous for, and makes a statement about the value this society places on culture and art. If it isn't obvious, I'm completely envious and could not want this for the Philippines bad enough.


Everything announces the importance of the experience you are just about to have: the experience of music. No usher could ever bring you as graciously or ecstatically to your seat, in anticipation of a wonderful evening, as this building can.


Which brings us to Cecilia.


I've always found early music to be a bit of a bore, to be honest. But not the way Cecilia Bartoli sings it. She brings such mastery, genius and spirit to early, lesser-known works, that you literally sit up on the edge of your seat and hold your breath listening to her.

She sang pieces from her Grammy-winning album, Sacrificium, which features works originally written for castrati, prepubescent boys castrated for the sole purpose of performing some of the most difficult pieces ever written for the human voice. 


And the costumes! Her knee-high leather boots, billowing pirate-type blouse, swirling cape, scarlet taffeta bustle, and giant red feathers added drama and flair to a bravura performance. Brava Cecilia!


I was so glad that my mom, who's not the biggest fan of opera, really enjoyed it. 


Operaen is the only concert hall in the world where you can, and in fact are meant to, walk all over the building, and all the way up to the roof from the ground floor.


So after the concert, that's just what we did. With the sunset sky in the background, it was absolutely perfect.


It's a wonderful, welcoming space to walk, sit, play and see the city, bringing a new dimension to arts that are seen as dull and exclusive. Plus it's photogenic with a million angles and planes to play with. Camwhores will pee all over themselves with delight. We almost did!


Marlon posed for his Fortune 500/Time Man of the Year cover.


My sights are set a bit lower. Hanggang level lang ng Lookbook and Chictopia, haha.


We took the coolest family photo ever: Marlon and I outside, and Mom and my sister inside.


And my sister took this photo of us kissing. Aww.

I feel so lucky to have been able to watch Cecilia Bartoli in such a gorgeous space. Truly the highlight of the whole trip. 

5 comments:

  1. I love opera en! I heard that during winter, part of the structure is perfect for skiing! It is on my list. And I love Bartoli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ito Kish! I'm starstruck! :D Thanks for your comment. I used to love browsing in your stores when I still lived in Manila. I was a fresh grad when you had the Greenbelt store so hanggang window shopping lang ako noon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, ako din na-starstruck.

    It's nice to see the Paul women in one city. I'm loving Marlon's pose. Pwedeng-pwede. Can't wait for our visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. I got goosebumps just seeing those pictures. What an awesome architectural triumph! The book The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand comes to mind. Ah. ma. zing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought on seeing it was Superman's ice house (Fortress of Solitude, according to Marlon) in the North Pole. Haha.

    ReplyDelete