Sunday, May 22

Fun finds

In between all the trips we've been taking lately, Marlon and I have somehow managed to squeeze in some time to pick up some nice new things for the house. 

For the living room, I picked up this clean, graphic-print yellow and purple thistle cushion at Mikkili, a webshop with a lovely collection of Nordic design goods. 


My photo-printed lampshade from Pictureprint was delivered shortly after. I eventually went for the yellow Joya painting to add a bit of color to our mostly neutral living room. Now all we need is a cozy armchair and the living room will be all set!


I did a last-minute bathing suit run a few hours before we left for the Algarve. On the way back to the tram, Marlon and I spotted this wineglass chandelier by Leitmotiv in a little design shop tucked into the Nine Streets. We've been in search of a lighting fixture for the dining room since we found out that the Muuto Unfold lamps we wanted are sold out both here and in Denmark, where they're produced. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that the chandelier in the store was the owner's very last piece... and was being sold at a 50% discount. Deal!


Installing this fixture was hell on the nerves. It was Marlon's first time to wire a light fixture. And I was almost afraid to breathe until each of the 32 wine glasses were hanging safely on their metal perches. 


It's been up for nearly a month now, and so far no accidents or clinking glasses. Just soft light and interesting shadows... just what I wanted!


The change in lighting also prompted a reevaluation of our dining chair strategy. We decided to move the two Tolix chairs out to the balcony and bring in the two white Eames chairs from outside. From "vintage industrial", the brief has now changed to "clean and modern." So one sunny Saturday, we paid a visit to the Kartell store on Westerstraat. 


We agreed on a pair of transparent Frilly chairs by Patricia Urquiola, whose designs I've always liked. Eventually we can save up for another pair.


At nearby Noordermarkt, we discovered De Weldaad, a store with a great mix of vintage, industrial and vintage-inspired things for the home.


I got a cast-iron trivet to replace the grotty Ikea cork ones from Marlon's bachelor days.


I can hardly ever go to Noordermarkt without picking up a little trinket for myself. I spotted these adorable teacup and milk jug ceramic rings that reminded me of all my tingaling tea-and-crumpets friends (you know who you are).


For daintier ladies, there were crepes and coffee... 


... and heartier fare for those with a bigger appetite. The little salmon slices and steaks are just too cute.


I got myself a little breakfast plate of toast, coffee and a hardboiled egg, which is pretty much what I have for breakfast. 


To paraphrase Beyonce: if you like it, you shoulda put it on a ring.

4 comments:

  1. Deeps the thistle printed throw pillow is SO clear... it almost looks real! And that wine glass chandelier is to die for!!! The stock shortage was truly a blessing in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DW! There was another gorgeous pillow with an owl on it. I wanted to get it for the bedroom but it's too big :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are such gorgeous finds! And that pillow? So unique! That wineglass chandelier is soooooooooo cool too! I love the shadows it throws over your wood table <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to see the thistle cushion from our webshop in your home. Thank you for mentioning.

    ReplyDelete