Thursday, February 17

Around the Zuid

Yesterday was such a gorgeous day, full of sunshine and bright blue skies, which made it so much fun to do my errands. I put on a pair of hot pink socks and matching hot pink lipstick to go to the market, haha.

I did my market shopping last Monday and nearly half the stalls on Albert Cuyp were closed. Wednesday seems to be a much better day; the market was really bustling. I counted at least three more flower stalls which seems like a wonderful sign that spring is on the way.


One thing I love about this city is how the neighborhoods are so distinct. We apparently got a bargain on our flat, which is in a ritzy neighborhood (locals I've spoken to have used the words "ooh la la" and "chic"). When you cross the boundary of De Pijp, you know you're in our area when you start seeing the real housewives of Amsterdam Zuid.

Taray ng lola mo!

After lunch I went to ABN Amro at the World Trade Center, which is a 10-minute walk from my house. It's one of my favorite walks, especially crossing the river at Stadionkade behind my house. It looks like this on a normal gray day, but yesterday it was sunny so people were sitting out on the bridge chatting and reading.


Along the river I came across another fabulous old dame out for a walk in an ankle-length fur coat, leopard hat and giant pearl earrings. Taray! She caught me by surprise, else I would have taken her photo. 



The WTC is a big business area, all shiny and new. The metro station (which takes you further out of Amsterdam, as opposed to the tram system that runs within the city) is there as well, which is turning out to be really convenient for us. 



There are also buses direct to and from Schiphol airport.


As per usual, gorgeous design is everywhere. 


On the way there and back, my walk takes me through gorgeous Minervalaan. I can only imagine how stunning it will be in full bloom when spring comes. And the pollen these trees are sure to generate! I will need my asthma inhaler with me for sure.


The fact that it's lined with actual houses, not apartments, with at least two cars per driveway (even spotted a few sports cars and vintage cars) tells me that this is Millionaire's Row. At dito lang ako nakakakita ng mga Asian yayas pushing prams with European babies. Having full-time help here costs a bomb, and it's not something I've seen in other neighborhoods. And yet the houses are so understated; there's nary a cherub-topped fountain or Corinthian column in sight. 

Maybe I'll take a walk again today :) 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I am so jealous that going to the market is a rather chilly experience with flower stalls. When you say going to market here (the real market) it sorta means the heat, smelly smells and flies.

    I will admit that we opted to go to Jakarta instead of Brussels because I don't think I can take the cold. I have to work up to it for sure! So one day I can take European winters!

    I'm curious, how did you get the pic of the taray lola? Do you ask permission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sayang! Brussels would have been awesome and you'd be nearby! If you're dressed properly, the cold is not so bad. Uniqlo has the best and most affordable winter clothes. I live in their sweats and hoodies at home, and their Heattech thermals really do their job and look great to boot.

    I shot the taray lola from inside the tram with my iPhone. I'd just sent Marlon a text, so it just looked like I was texting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh clever! Gotta love our iPhones! Takes much better pics than my BB.

    It's not getting bodily cold that I can't take... it's my lungs/throat/sinus and the cold air. They are not a match! I once went up to Baguio for Nestle Sales Conference and had to be nebulized every few hours. Good thing Nestle travels with a nurse all the time! The temp was only 20 C daytime and 11 C at night. Can you imagine what would happen to me in Brussels?!?

    ReplyDelete