Tuesday, February 22

Dutch treat

Today was the first market day that I wasn't terribly excited to go to the market. A temperature of -6℃ can kill your enthusiasm for damn near anything, lol. I took a mid-morning nap and woke up to a slightly balmier -3℃, which I figured was as warm as it was going to get the whole day. 

In fairness, when I did step out I didn't really feel the cold, thanks to my 75% Uniqlo outfit (Heattech turtleneck, light merino wool cardigan, Heattech socks and down jacket—the trousers were Zara and the boots Timberland). Now if only they made Heattech moisturizer for my face...

At the end of my market run, I spotted a small, touristy-ish stall (you can tell from the overly "traditional Dutch" decor) surrounded by families with small kids. They were gathered around an iron grill, from which emanated a nose-tickling aroma and delicious warmth. 

Sungkaan for the 21st century

And so it was that I came face to face with a real Dutch treat: poffertjes!


Poffertjes (puffer-chez... salitang bading pala siya lol!) are flattened balls of dough that are fried and served with butter and powdered sugar. At €2 for 10 peso-sized puffs of love, I simply could not resist. 


They came fresh off the grill and right into my gaping maw. Let me tell you, that first mouthful of hot, sugary softness in the winter chill was absolute heaven. I wheeled my grocery bag to a bench on a nearby street corner so my precious poffertjes and I could have our moment.


It's only too easy to treat myself to these every time I go to the market. Then I'd be in some serious sugary trouble!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmm, dutch dollar pancakes!

    sawap! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am suddenly wanting french toast instead of the apple and watermelon breakfast I am having right now. But I can't because I have a sore throat! Arg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had these in Sydney! Multicultural kasi dito, eh! O, diba? They're super yummy. I can't wait to have them in Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete