Saturday, February 12

Moving day

Marlon and I moved out of our serviced apartment bright and early Thursday morning last week (well, maybe not bright, but definitely early). Sylvia from the relocation agency drove us and our 48,000 pieces of luggage over in a big van, and got us a cute housewarming gift. I very nearly went, “Oh! Onions! How lovely!” but caught myself just in time. Later on, I found out that these bulbs will grow into hyacinths when spring comes!

We locked Rogue in the guest bedroom so she wouldn't get underfoot of the movers. By some incomprehensible contortion, she managed to stick a paw out of her carrier, grab one of Marlon's favorite sweaters, and rip it completely to shreds in a fit of feline agitation. Yikes.


The moving crew arrived with a crane. Yes, a crane. That's because by law, movers are not allowed to carry more than 20kg on their person. Spoiled much? I've carried suitcases that are heavier than that! Plus, entryways and stairs in Dutch apartment buildings are deathly narrow, so large items are typically moved in through a window. Thus, the rise of the machines.


To get the crane into position right outside our living room window, the moving crew asked our ground floor neighbor to move her car. For some reason, they also had to push it. Out of gas, maybe?


First to come up was our daybed. I can't tell you what a relief it was to see our beloved possessions coming in through the window. The last time I saw any of these things was before Christmas. 


I lost count of how many times the movers loaded the little platform and sent it up, as soon our immaculate, empty new flat began to fill up with boxes upon boxes.


As the lady of the house, I felt very wife-like bustling around serving tea, coffee and cookies to the movers. Dutch custom dictates that everyone who sets foot in your house must be offered tea or coffee, whether it's the Queen of England or the plumber. It's a gracious custom, and very egalitarian: in fact, yesterday morning the guy who came over to install my Internet had zero qualms about asking for an espresso. Ako pa ang nahiya kasi instant coffee lang kami sa bahay!


After the movers left, Marlon set up the kopitiam table and our only two chairs by the window to make a temporary dining nook. With some takeout fish and paella from the fishmonger on the corner, we sat down for our first meal in our new home.


We left the house in the afternoon to register our new address at the local town hall, and subscribe to cable TV and Internet. Before I stepped out, though, something magical happened. I entered the bedroom and saw my dresser, chair, lamp and our unmade bed… and it all seemed to fit



It was at that moment when the house and I clicked, like puzzle pieces laid into place by a gentle and unseen hand. It was at that very moment that I decided: yes, this is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment