Thursday, February 17

Lamp lust

My latest all-consuming obsession is fixing up the new house. Marlon and I spend hours talking about it. Our creative taps have been turned, and now we are gushing ideas, plans and budgets. The sheer number of options available in this incredible art- and design-mad city simply feeds the obsession.

What really helped me get started is the Dutch shelter magazine VTWonen. I'd heard of it even before I moved here, from Europe-based design blogs like Emma'sDesign Shimmer and Vosges Paris. When I was in the hospital and bored out of my mind, I hobbled to the hospital bookshop and got a copy. Even if it was entirely in Dutch, I was enchanted. Everything was beautifully styled and photographed, and it was really easy to match the prices and shops to the photos. 

One of the resources was a canvas printing service which also does lamps. Perfect for our living room! Pictureprint's nifty site lets you try photos out on a sample lamp, an activity which is as addictive as virtual makeovers (remember those?). After a sleepless night, I came up with a few lead options, but still can't decide. 

Now picture dove-gray walls, light wood furniture, huge windows and and let me know which is your fave!

1) A painting from Fernando Zobel from the Ateneo Art Gallery. This holds sentimental significance, as I have fond memories of my Philo 101 teacher introducing us to these paintings. Zobel has an entire series where he used syringes to apply paint.


2) A painting by Jose Joya, also from the Ateneo Art Gallery. The entire collection traveled to Singapore last year, which is where I took these photos.


3) One of my recent favorite photos of Amsterdam, sun flares somewhere in the Old Centre.


4) An odd choice that works surprisingly well: closeup of the penny tiles in the hot tub on top of Marina Bay Sands. I love the colors but not sure how I feel about polka dots.


5) The classic Boracay sunset. This was taken during our third anniversary getaway.


6) A sunset that actually works ten times better, but it's from Pulau Tioman in Malaysia. I would have preferred to have a Philippine sunset.


7) Detail shot of amethysts from the Hall of Minerals at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

8) My favorite painting from the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco: Strut by Marilyn Minter, a huge enamel-on-metal still life of diamond-studded, lilac Dior stilettos. I'm wild about this, but it was immediately and vehemently vetoed by Marlon: "Marry a girl kung gusto mo talaga."


Decisions, decisions! Which would you pick?

9 comments:

  1. Hello,

    This looks great. Awesome pictures. My choices would be the ones based out of the paintings, with the Joya as a top choice. I think this would make the lamp more classic (but modern) and can actually move through different styles and even rooms. The picture ones tend to look kitschy depending on the interiors. The Joya looks like it will be a great investment in the future.

    It's art! It's a lampshade! It's an art lampshade!

    ps. the SFMOMA one would be perfect in a walk-in closet. haha.

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have been following your posts and am very entertained by them! I am in school in the US and have a couple of dutch friends---both super kind and fun to be with, and if their attitude were any indication of the entire population, I am sure you are going to have the time of your life in dutchland(hehe).

    Congratulations and all the best to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ, I'm also leaning towards the "artshade" ones. I couldn't put my finger on why at first, but I like the way you articulated it.

    Thanks, Anonymous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Joya as well. I like how organic it looks, as if it's peeling to reveal something new and I think it's an appropriate metaphor for your recent move :-)

    Second choice would be the Zobel, parang artwork ni Rogue, lol! (I think I may have just been banned in all Ayala properties, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. parang mas partial ako dun sa zobel lamp.

    very goth ang arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which I love best #2 or #4. But I guess it all really depends on the other components of the room and your objective for the lamp. I know, I know... I am being overly "scientific" about it but only because I am also going through the same home interior decorating and have dealt with it in the same way. How about a process of elimination? I find that sunset on lamps remind me of a cheesy tagalog film hehe... I love sunsets but pulling them off in a classy way is not as simple (I learned the hard way) #7 reminds me of tie die but if you going for that look..? #1 for some reason (I'm sick I know!) reminds me of blood (WTH right?). #8 is out. So we're left with 2 (artsy), 3 (modern), and 4 (shiny disco-ball/photo art/lam). So what is the overall theme of your room anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh people, I'm glad I asked for your opinions. I think you just saved me from cheese!

    This reminds me of when my partner art director at work looked at the color scheme I wanted for my wedding and killed it with two words: "Nacho Libre."

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the Zobel and the Amethyst a lot but think that the Joya will suit the furniture and colors that you will have in the room better. It will also give you more light. A soft yellow glow is most flattering to the skin. I am very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Joya. I agree that the yellow would brighten any room and make it look bigger. It would look great against the cobalt blue wall! And it looks like I'm the only one who likes the sunflares - but, hmm, I like it but I wouldn't choose it. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete