Tuesday, March 15

Deck the hall

... with Indian fabric, falalala lala lala!

Marlon has the habit of coming home and emptying his pockets of coins, keys and wadded-up receipts... and they end up everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Back in our Singapore condo, I'd come across coins in the bathroom, in the closet, on the kitchen counter, floor, nightstand, bookshelf, coffee tables, dining table, you name it. I went ballistic each time I found a coin. I tried putting a specially designated canister in different locations to catch them, observing where he was most likely to empty his pockets, asking him where it was most convenient for him, to no avail. 

And so I became determined to win the war against the coins and install a catch-all solution in our new home. It came in the form of a many-drawered vintage steel cabinet, from my vintage/industrial mecca Spoor 38. The cabinet had a lovely patina (a.k.a. rust), but when we moved it into the hallway it looked lost and bare. 

Then I remembered I bought some pretty paisley fabric during our honeymoon in Rajasthan. (In case you didn't know, I'm the biggest sucker for anything with a paisley print.) It had been sitting, unused, folded quietly in a box for the last three years, waiting for its moment.


When I told my mom about this, by the way, she cackled with a triumph that was at least 24 years in the making. "See? See? Now you understand!" she cried with glee. She used to shop for fabric all the time when I was a kid, and I hated it. With a passion. Even my biggest displays of brattiness and my constant whining accusations of "You don't even use them!" could never dissuade her from this habit. And I agreed that, yes, now I understood. (Don't you just get the feeling sometimes that we are all turning into our mothers?)

Anyway, with several pieces of wood molding from the hardware store, some gold paint, a few nails, generous amounts of wood putty, and my trusty staple gun, Marlon and I made a "framed wallpaper" backdrop for the steel cabinet in the hallway.


And like my dining chairs and their DIY cushions, the print picks up the little bits of rust and wear on the cabinet while complementing the metal in a way that I really like. 


Those pesky coins? They end up in the drawers now, so I guess we can consider this battle won. With style. And paisley. 

3 comments:

  1. OMG ang galing mo Deepa-deeps!!! I am soooo impressed! You are totally my idol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Ang galing naman! Marlon just needed pretty drawers :D or since he DIY-ed a solution, he's more likely to use it haha.

    Very pretty :) I wish I was as DIY savvy as you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely idea! It does give a nice touch to the area.

    ReplyDelete