Monday, March 21

Overtoom outing

Running parallel to the Vondelpark and separating the south from the west, the long avenue called the Overtoom was highly recommended by my Dutch friend Merel (actually my former boss's wife, now living in Singapore) for great furniture finds. 

Still in search of the perfect armchair for our living room, Marlon and I spent Saturday afternoon walking up and down the entire length of the Overtoom. Although the perfect chair continued to elude us, it was still a fun way to explore a new neighborhood. I didn't feel like lugging my camera around that day, so all I've got here is a mixed bag of Hipstamatic and regular iPhone pictures. 

One of my favorite discoveries was (naturally) a dirt-cheap thrift shop, whose smell instantly made me feel at home by transporting me to the ukay-ukays of Cubao. (Ah, to be 20 years old with little to no disposable income!)

I must add these to my growing collection of creepy doll/child themed photos.


Most of the good stuff, though, already bore stickers marked verkocht (sold). Most heartbreaking was a caramel leather wing chair for €60 (!!!) that was being carried out as we were browsing; we had missed a fabulous bargain by just minutes!


This fuzzy green building was one of many in a neighborhood that reminded me so much of New York, but friendlier and more laid back. If we were to move to another neighborhood, I'd pick this one in a pinch. Aside from the brownstones, there's just something so relaxed and casual about this neighborhood that won me over. It was a gorgeous afternoon, and so many people were just sitting out on their front steps enjoying the sun. I even saw one guy sitting on his windowsill, playing the guitar, with his bare legs and feet dangling out onto the street.


We stopped for a late lunch at Cafe Wilhelmina, along one of the streets branching off from the Overtoom. It turned out to be a winner!


Marlon had a Dutch farmer style omelette that could probably feed an entire barangay of farmers back home, while I had a rich, creamy goat cheese cake thinly disguised as a sandwich. The party favor-type tinsel decorations are perfect for the experience: it's a party for your taste buds.


Next door was a thrift shop festooned on the outside with discarded 80s wedding dresses and bell-bottomed velvet jumpsuits trimmed with fake fur. Naturally, I had to step inside.


I didn't find anything for me, but I did find this tacked behind the mirror in the fitting area. Kiki on Steroids! It sounds like it could be an indie pop band, but it's actually an "exhibition about transgender and Internet presence. Girls who want to be boys and vice versa. Play with your gender and lots of DIY." (DIY???) The photo on the left looks like it could be taken from the childhood albums of any one of my scores of becky friends. Look closely, my beloved gheys... it could be you!

2 comments: