Saturday, March 19

Lock 'em up

Marriage is about compromise. Some people seem to think this is a dirty and miserable word that hammers the final nail into the coffin of all fun and individuality (in which the first nail was, duh, marriage). Uh, no. It's not so bad, y'all. Sometimes it's even effortless, when two seemingly unrelated desires collide in a happy accident. And when that happens while shopping... well, that must be what they call wedded bliss.

What Marlon wanted (has always wanted): a vintage trunk or chest. Something heavy and old, with a lock. Preferably made of metal. Every time we come across one, he strokes it and says, "I've always wanted one of these." Since he rarely hankers for vintage things (that's my domain), I did consider every trunk and chest we found in our furniture forages... but none of them seemed to work for our house.

What I wanted: to never let our DVDs and CDs see the light of day. Aren't piles of DVDs and CDs actually quite ugly? I mean, unless you have a theaterrific collection or a thousand-dollar designer shelf that makes them look like an art installation, I think these soon-to-be-relics are best hidden from view. 

Compromise found!


... In the form of these two vintage lockboxes from Raw Materials on Rozengracht. Marlon was really bowled over by these.

And as for me... did you think I really needed to be convinced? An invisibility cloak for the DVDs that's turquoise, vintage and industrial? Hell yeah.

3 comments:

  1. 'What I wanted: to never let our DVDs and CDs see the light of day."

    YES! I still haven't unloaded my DVDs/CDs from their boxes since I moved into a new apartment -- and that was almost a year ago. I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DW! ;)

    Jason, I had boxes from Manila pa that remained unopened in our Singapore apartment for 3 years. Binuksan ko lang the day before we left for Amsterdam, haha.

    ReplyDelete