Tuesday, March 6

Adventures in babysitting

Coming from a culture of live-in help, the concept of babysitting is completely alien to me. It's something I only know vaguely from the paperback series of my tweenhood, like Sweet Valley High or (you guessed it) The Babysitters' Club

I have two friends who recently became first-time moms within weeks of each other, and watching them makes makes me realize that despite being used to hardship in many ways, we Manila girls are very, very spoiled in the areas of childcare and household help. As a child of a single-parent household, I had a yaya until the age of 11. So I haven't completely wrapped my head around the idea that Marlon and I (well, mostly I) will actually have to do everything—as in everything—ourselves, with only occasional help. I have to admit, I'm slightly terrified. 

I got the chance to take a peek at the life that awaits me when my friend Michelle needed help watching Maddy, her six week-old baby, while she packed for a move. Since it was a Friday night, I got Marlon to come along (he should know what to expect too, right?). 

Michelle and I sent Marlon out to buy pizza while we girls got to do the fun stuff, like hold the baby, change her diaper (pee only, thank goodness), and document her newest skill: rolling over. Adorable.


The most fascinating thing for me to discover was the process of elimination involved in soothing a baby. With the baby unable to communicate what is causing its discomfort, it seems you just have to go down a list of possible options until one works. Hungry? She just fed. Sleepy? Maybe. Needs pacifier or finger to suck on? Try again. Needs to "talk" or move around? Get up and do that. Needs to sit up or lie down? Put her on her cushion. Needs changing? It's about that time.

Michelle made it look really easy to decipher Maddy's "signals", but I guess that comes from doing the same things over and over again for hours on end!


Aside from being a total bundle of cuteness, Maddy was really easy and seemed to take to me well enough, falling asleep in my arms more than once. She was a little more anxious (see the face) with Marlon, who held her and hummed to her, melting my heart in the process. It was all fun, but I guess I can only say that because I get to leave the baby behind at the end of the evening!

You might wonder if this experience has made us feel anything about having a baby. Well, I've known for a while that it's time, and so has Marlon. It's like I've woken up and realized that I'm no longer 17... and that it's no longer a disaster if I get pregnant! They say there's no such thing as being 100% ready for parenthood, but the two of us agree that at least emotionally—individually and as a couple—we're as ready as we'll ever be.  

In fact, we're hoping that this will be the year. So, wish us luck. Any volunteers for babysitting?

8 comments:

  1. I, too, come from a culture of live-in help so I did wonder how I'd cope with it all. Luckily, my Mum was a huge (live-in!) help and took the pressure off immensely. That said, there's nothing scarier than leaving the hospital with your newborn, knowing that you are both solely responsible for this tiny person for the forseeable future.

    You guys will be just fine. You clearly love each other very much and have a wonderful relationship - that's half the battle. :)

    Kudos to both of you for having a trial run of sorts - Marlon looks like such a "pro". My husband had never really held a baby until ours was born! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i'm seventeen and i'm new here toooddaaayyyyy"

    parang seeing you guys with a baby is strangely.. bagay is you know what i mean? 

    i thought you would announce at the end of your blog that you were preggers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Pia! These days my "seventeen" reference is Annie Lennox: "SEVENteeeen! SEVENteeeen! SEVENteeeen.... agaiiiiiinnnnnn!"

    Us + baby would be super bagay... if the baby wasn't white with green eyes. And if I'm preggers you'll know because I won't begin the blog post with someone else's baby. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chi, I definitely intend to fly my Mom over here for at least a couple of months when the baby happens. I couldn't do it without her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you and your hubby! I say your very brave to tackle such a challenging task. I never would have tried babysitting a 6-week old before I became a mother. Mate-tense ako when the baby starts crying! LOL Siguro now pa that I've already experienced it. :)

    And good luck to your "baby project" this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EDTI: You're very brave (sorry hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wasn't so bad because her mommy was there, just occupied with other stuff. I really have no idea how I would manage if I was completely on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read your blog on pregnancy and parenting in Europe! ;o)

    ReplyDelete