Friday, March 9

Cafes on the wharf

Pedaling against the raging gales of Amsterdam Noord can make one ravenous. I was a little worried about finding a ready meal out in an area that seems mostly like industrial wasteland. 


Fortunately, there's Cafe Noorderlicht ("northern lights") on the NDSM-Werf, just a skip-and-a-hop from thrifting havens Van Dijk en Ko and the IJ-Hallen flea market.


The food is simple (soups, salads, sandwiches) and the look is cobbled-together industrial. The most important thing is the abundance of light and warmth.


The vibe is great, though—casual, indie and totally laid back. It's also a good place to ogle hipsters. I thought I could pass amongst them in my hipster attire of skinny jeans, mixed prints (cats and stripes) and bright red kisser. But no, my simple girl pearl earrings betrayed me! Hipster FAIL.


Aside from Noorderlicht, one can also refuel after (or fuel up before) a day of thrifting at the IJ-Kantine, right on the wharf.


Again, it's pretty basic (as with most Dutch cafes) with its offering of soups, salads and sandwiches. The interiors are industrial-inspired as well.


It's a good place to keep warm and grab a quick coffee while waiting for the ferry back to Centraal Station.


On the way back to the city center, you can't miss the submarine moored in the wharf. I wonder what its story is and why it's there.


I like the vibe in this part of Amsterdam Noord, and how the ferry ride makes coming here feel like a mini-break from the city. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like in the summer... if we even have a summer, that is!

2 comments:

  1. pearl earrings = filipina give away. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wear the white ones though, just this sort of old rose color and black :P

    ReplyDelete