Wednesday, March 7

Van Dijk & Ko

Be prepared for a slew of thrifting posts from me over the next few days. I'm obsessed with finding a desk for my soon-to-be home office, and since I'm on a budget, checking out second-hand sources has been my top priority. One (rare) sunny Saturday morning, my search for the perfect second-hand desk led me across the river IJ (pronounced "eye") to Amsterdam Noord, which is 14 minutes by ferry from Centraal Station.

Amsterdam Noord is still largely industrial, but it's considered an "up-and-coming" (i.e. increasingly livable, secretly hip) neighborhood. With wide roads, little greenery and a surfeit of warehouses, it feels like a different planet from the rest of Amsterdam. 

It's also a killer bike ride, because nothing cuts the wind, which (on the day we were there, at least) is inescapable and so very strong. I felt like 20-pound weights were hanging from my handlebars. 


But my fietsje (little bike) and I forged ahead anyway. I say "little," because my trusty baby blue cruiser who came all the way from Singapore is microscopic by Dutch standards. I feel like I get strange looks whenever I'm out biking; I've seen 11 year-olds riding bigger bikes than mine.


In contrast, Marlon, who bikes to work everyday, has a proper Dutch bike. They call it an oma fiets (granny bike). It's higher, so you can fully extend your legs while biking and prevent damage to your knees. I don't bike often enough to care about that stuff, although I should.

Anyway, there was a good reason for the killer bike ride: to explore the 2,500 square-meter second-hand wonderland known as Van Dijk en Ko.


Step inside, after the jump!


All those cliches about shining eyes and a song in your heart? That's me entering a place like this. Imagine four times this long warehouse space, filled with old books and furniture from the Netherlands, Belgium, France...


... Romania and Hungary. You could kind of tell which pieces were from Eastern Europe: the ones that were folksier, with more pattern and color.


Another Hungarian import sold at Van Dijk en Ko: gorgeous hand-blown glassware. They are brand new, not second hand.


We have way too many glasses as it is, but I need to come back for some of these.



Old mail sacks made of linen, also from France and Hungary, are sold by the meter. I would love a classic French armchair reupholstered in this material.



Aside from books and furniture, there are also lots of old building materials and parts of houses. Iron gate as headboard, anyone?


I could have grabbed a roll of vintage wallpaper for future projects. But I have too much paper at home already.


If we hadn't been on our bikes, I would have loved to pick up a few of these giant beakers, in arresting hues of emerald and cobalt. 



More impractical but no less eye-catching: a card catalog (remember those?) and a black horse on wheels. I'd love to see someone cycling around the streets of Amsterdam on that!



Though I took my time browsing and loved doing so, I was a good girl that day. My only purchase was a jar of fountain pens (for my newest hobby) at 50 cents apiece.


Unfortunately, my desk eluded me. On to the next!

2 comments:

  1. fountain peeeennsss!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing with pen and ink is my new thing. Got a few different pen nibs, soooo much fun! 

    ReplyDelete