Wednesday, March 7

Hunter Gatherer: Old books

Of the many blogs I discovered while doing the Blogging Your Way e-course a few months back, Carousel is one of the few that I follow religiously. The woman at the helm of Carousel is Chi Feasey, a London-based fashion designer with a great eye and a bold, fabulous personal style. Chi first got me hooked by blogging about her brave decision to wear just Six Items or Less for an entire month. Her 30-day fashion diary is filled with fun and creative outfits, and had me virtually applauding by the time of its grand finale. 

One of my favorite features on Chi's blog is her "Hunter Gatherer" series, where she posts a collection of photographs revolving around a certain theme. From a skateboarder's haunt to folds of fabric, each series is intriguing and inspiring, with lots of details to get lost in. 

Inspired by and as a shout out to Carousel, I've decided to put together a little "Hunter Gatherer" collection of my own from my visit to Van Dijk en Ko. They had a large-ish selection of second-hand books, with many dating back to the 1900s. 

I love books and I love paper. Make them decades, even a hundred years old and you'll have me in a puddle on the floor. 


Most of the volumes that caught my eye were published between 1900 and 1930. It was a time when every printed book was precious and expensive, a work of art. This beautiful book on Dutch paintings, for example, has a stunning trifecta of binding, endpaper and bookplate. 


Old endpapers with a hand-drawn feel. The last really eye-catching endpaper I saw was in a hardbound copy of Harry Potter, but of course it was missing the character of a paper like this.


How they did branding in the old days: the bookseller's label in each book. Even the tiniest stamp had room for two fonts and a couple of flourishes.


Another art book with an amazing embossed hardcover.


And a tiny book of prayers that fits into a palm or pocket.


I love books with surprises, like a letter or postcard tucked into its pages. Jumping ahead a few decades,  I found this personalized astrology chart in an art book from the 1960s.


This "Electric Cookbook", which taught Dutch housewives of the 1960s to cook with that newfangled contraption known as an electric stove, held a sheaf of handwritten recipes. Check out that cursive.


This recipe lists currants, raisins, brown sugar and apple juice as its main ingredients. Sounds yummy.

Books and paper can be so lovely. This is why I'll probably never get a Kindle!

---

This is my first Blog of the Month feature. Every month, I promise to send a shout out to one of the bloggers on my blogroll, in the form of an "As Seen On..." type of post. Let me know if you like the idea... and the post, of course!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Deepa,

    it's Yvonne from The Hive. Looking forward meeting you. And Chi is coming too :)
    I share your opinion, that I won't get a kindle because I love books so much too...

    Until May,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne, thanks for stopping by! Yes, she's coming with a whole bunch of BYW alumni from the UK. Really looking forward to it! 
    Oh, and I'd love to check out second-hand stores (clothing and books) in Berlin, any good places you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. those books are lovely! you seem to have a very good eye on these things. keep it up! you're my new favorite blogger. it used to be 1) chuvaness and 2)daphne but now it's 1)currstrumpet 2) chuvaness 3) daphne lol! love the positivity you exude in your blog. it's so calming looking at the beautiful pictures you post.

    also, i too have been have been adamant about not getting a kindle, but someone gave me a kindle this past christmas and I love it (didn't think i would). It's so easy when you're traveling or commuting to work everyday on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, that's very generous praise! Chuvaness & Daphne are also my favorite Pinoy bloggers :)

    My husband really wants a Kindle, so if he gets one it becomes conjugal property without me having to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Deepa! I've been on an internet hiatus for reasons I shan't bore you with (hence my late response) but what a lovely surprise!! I'm truly flattered - thank you!!! :D

    Those books are exquisite - I can see why you're so enamoured of them. They certainly don't make books like they used to! The little personal treasures inside make them even more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous post (I just love that tiny book!) and what a lovely homage to Chi! I love her blog too, and I'm so glad to have found you through her! So many wonderful people in BYW...it's no wonder we're still tripping over each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Chi, the Internet's happy to see you again! Glad you liked the feature :) 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome and thanks, Lauren! I have my favorites from BYW, but I'm also still discovering new blogs from the class list. It's inexhaustible!

    ReplyDelete