Wednesday, March 21

Paint it black

Spring is finally here, and my own personal travel "season" is about to start. Since I'm going to be away often over the next two months, I didn't want to start a new watercolor project (which normally takes a few weeks). So the objective of my last class was to finish something fast. 

My subject of choice: a certain black cat named Rogue. 


Her proportions are a bit wonky, but you'll have to forgive me as I didn't even do a sketch for this one. I pretty much started splashing around with a big brush, as my teacher wishes I would do more often. But I think this captures her cranky/evil look pretty well; it's the one she pulls when she's sleepy and I'm trying to play with her.

It's an interesting exercise to paint black without actually having black in my palette: I used indigo, brown, and a touch of red. I plan to use it as a study for a bigger, more carefully considered portrait of my pet (cat-rait? Pet-rait?). But in the meantime, I have some traveling to do! #excited

4 comments:

  1. Grabe, your painting posts are sooooo inspiring me to take up watercolor lessons too. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented Deepa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Iggy! Nakaka-decompress siya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Virna! I'm working on a bigger pet-rait (hehe) that I hope to post here soon :) 

    ReplyDelete