Monday, May 12

Small victories

finally whittling down the conjugal grocery bill from over a hundred, almost two hundred dollars a week (for two people! no wonder we were so fat!) to $80 and below. the secret: going on the south beach diet eliminates so many frivolous and often expensive purchases like cookie mixes, couscous, chocolate, various pasta ingredients.

calling my mom up on day and hearing her laugh. we hooted over the ridiculous prices of today's "it" bags together; she had an especially big laugh over the prices of celestina bags. while window shopping in greenbelt 5, she saw a yellow croc handbag that looked exactly like a Php200 purse she got me from an ukay-ukay. the celestina price tag: Php169,000. the sales attendant generously offered her a discount, bringing the total to "only" Php139,000. oh, how my mom laughed.

after hearing a friend say the words "retail therapy", realizing that i didn't need it.

putting together a great interview outfit in only two tries.

feeling pride in the portfolio of print work i put together. i was saying to myself for the past five or six months, "i don't have much of a print portfolio." when i really put my back into creating one, i found i was wrong.

going to an interview on friday; feeling that i had been given a thoroughly fair chance to represent myself and my work... and that i had grabbed it.

realizing that while i used to thrive on long work hours in my old job, i no longer feel the compulsion to play that trump card in order to get hired. working my old hours in a new life doesn't seem to quite fit. it misses the point of me getting married and moving here.

going home after the interview and evaluating how well the job and the company was suited for me without a tinge of desperation.

finally giving up my resistance to singapore and realizing that i could really have the time of my life here. maybe i already am.

considering that there may be no such thing as a small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment