Thursday, April 5

Cafe culture

One of the major ways I've changed over the years has to do with the way I travel. As I get older, the more I prefer a laid-back pace. Although I can be meticulous about researching and planning an itinerary for each trip, I get stressed out by careening from one activity (or "tourist attraction") to another. Instead, I enjoy the spaces in between, the times spent doing just nothing. 


Maybe it's because I'm not 19 anymore and have less energy. Or maybe it's the European influence. They are very good at doing nothing and simply enjoying the moment. I used to laugh at Europeans sprawled in the sun on any available patch of grass. Before our tour of Prague Castle, Marlon and I "wasted" a good half-hour just sitting on a bench by the Vltava river, enjoying the warm sunshine and the view of the castle across it.


Another European "time-waster" that I have happily embraced is their cafe culture. I was actually craving for it in Prague: to just sit down and take my time to enjoy a good coffee and pastry. Luckily, the Cafe Louvre on Narodni Avenue combined my craving for some downtime with a piece of Prague's history.


Similar to the Belle Epoque in Paris, prominent intellectuals and artists of the day would gather and mingle in cafes like this one. Opened in 1902, the Cafe Louvre was frequented by the likes of Franz Kafka and Albert Einstein. 


Thanks to its strong Austro-German influence, Prague is an amazing place for cakes and pastries. It was hard to choose, but eventually we ended up getting a poppy seed cake with a fine dusting of sugar and a serving of caramel ice cream. We also got the thickest, most delectable hot chocolate, so thick it couldn't be sipped and had to be licked off the spoon. My favorite kind!



I cherish these lingering times. That to me is what makes a vacation (or as the Europeans say, a holiday). I treasure the luxury of not having to do anything. I embrace the gift of simply enjoying each other's company, and of shared pleasures like reading and drawing (hence our Mucha-inspired collaboration).


And I take delight in savoring the little differences that are just interesting as the big sights—like how coffee is served with a little glass of sparkling water, for example. No idea what it's for, but I thought it was quirky.

How do you prefer to travel? And have you noticed it change over the years?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deepa :-) I came across your blog thru "J Journals" blog. I love ur blog! (I'm sure uve heard this many times). I've been reading your blog for days now (backtracking) and I love how you transitioned from Manila to Singapore to Amsterdam. I'm currently based in SG and I visited Amsterdam for the 1st time last year and your blog sure makes me want to go back.. you might want to visit my blog too :-) www.the-f-word-blog.blogspot.com (sorry i dont mean to plug shamelessly).. more power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian, welcome to my blog! Yes it's the Bluearden effect, haha! Haay I miss the food in Singapore :) Thanks for commenting, hope you enjoy reading :) 

    ReplyDelete