Monday, April 9

Mucha on my mind

How was your Easter weekend? Mine was quiet and laid-back, made all the better by the company of a wonderful guest from home.

Just one last Prague post before I move on. I couldn't leave Prague without having paid a visit to the Mucha Museum, which houses the major works of one of my favorite artists, Alphonse Mucha

One of my favorite coloring books when I was a kid was my Art Nouveau stained glass coloring book from Goodwill Bookstore. To this day, I love Art Nouveau, and Mucha is Art Nouveau. 

Dance (public domain)

When I started working at GMA, I considered it destiny that I ended up in an office where the glass walls of the pantry were plastered with a huge mural of Mucha's Dance (above). I managed to transmit my Mucha fixation to my work partner Charlie, an insanely talented art director who also tended to obsession. Mucha's Dance became the jump-off point for a slew of Art Nouveau-inspired outdoor and print materials for a big account that took over our lives. I wish I kept copies of Charlie's work, it was all so gorgeous. 


Mucha's work is not high art, but it is beautiful. Though he painted, most of his work was fairly commercial: from theater posters to advertisements for champagne and milk to biscuit tins. Many examples of his work, like Spring, Grapes, the poster for Lorenzaccio, and The Slav Epic (all of which I saw at the museum) today are in the public domain.


It was amazing to come face to face with works that I had only seen as small pictures in books, and realize that they are actually HUGE. Unfortunately, pictures are not allowed inside the Mucha Museum. So I had to settle for taking photos outside. That day, I was in "simple girl" mode with the Longchamp bag and ponytail, although I would hope the Marni for H&M top elevates it somewhat.


I took home a few postcards of my favorite works. 


My favorite souvenir, though, was this handmade notebook. I love notebooks, so this was perfect for me. But it was also very unusual in that it harbored a few hidden treasures. Click on through to peek inside...


Details from Mucha pieces are stencilled and printed inside.


Random quotes are stamped inside. This one about writing called to me, naturally.


What I really loved, though were the pages from old Czech books, together with vintage Czech photos, that were bound with the blank pages. And at the very end, snail mail from the sixties. 



It was the perfect purchase: Mucha's art and a trip to a Prague flea market all bound up in one neat, locally handmade package. If only more museum shop souvenirs were this creative!

4 comments:

  1. i love Mucha! enjoyed that section best during Art History class back in college :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zemirah! I would have loved to take an Art History class. Buti na lang there's Wikipedia :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome. I super regret not buying a Mucha calendar when I visited the Chicago Art Institute. Papaframe ko sana hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grabe ang appeal ni Mucha. A lot of his famous works weren't in Prague though. Would have loved to see more.

    ReplyDelete