Thursday, April 19

Chocoholics anonymous

I tried not to shop on my last two trips out of the country. I succeeded in Prague, but failed miserably in Köln. Unpacking after both weekends, I discovered that I'd managed to acquire multiples of my favorite things. The first was shoes; the second, chocolate. 


The full stash, clockwise from top left:
  • Stainer 75% Cocoa with Cinnamon, from Italy. Cinnamon and dark chocolate, two of my favorite things. This brand has gorgeous packaging, metallic gold with field-guide style botanical and zoological illustrations.
  • Madecasse 63% Cocoa with Sea Salt and Nibs, from Madagascar. Am I the only one thinking "I like to move it move it"? I suppose "nibs" means it's crunchy.
  • Casa Amatller Chocolate a la Taza, also with cinnamon, from Spain. The Amatller family made chocolate and lived in Gaudi's famous building in Barcelona. Sounds like my kind of life. One bar should make four cups of chocolate. I should have broken it out this week, it might have taken the edge off my extended-winter blues. 
  • Ritter Sport Nugat from Germany. My absolute favorite German import. I've been addicted for over a decade.
  • Becks Cocoa in "A Clockwork Orange" from Germany. Hot chocolate flavored with Moroccan oranges plus a classic film reference, ooh. This requires a precious cup.
  • Emils Gustavs Dark Chocolate with Pink Peppers, from Latvia. Finding treats like this (from "one of the best confectioneries in Eastern Europe") is why I love living in Europe. I mean, Baltic chocolate. Really, who eats chocolate from Latvia? Now, I do! 
  • How could I leave out the humble Chocnut? Cas handed me and Marlon two packs of homegrown peanut buttery goodness when I watched the Glee Club in Oberweyer, a gesture that delighted me... and my taste buds. 
The best part about this stash? Only the Ritter and Stainer have actually been consumed. Willpower for the win!

8 comments:

  1. I've been hungry all this week - there's no way I'd still have this much if it were my food stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very pretty and so yummy. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of "A Clockwork Orange". Choco-orange is one of my fave combos; remember those tiny Mayfair Neapolitan chocolates in the supermarket? Loved their chocolate-orange flavor!

    Pero ChocNut pa din for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanna! I'm gearing up for a long trip to Italy, so I'm saving all my gluttony for that :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Elise, premium chocolate = pretty packaging, which I love. I still haven't thrown away the Stainer box. I don't know what I'll do with it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kuma-copy talaga yang si Becks Cocoa. They had flavors called Nude (Vanilla & Bourbon), Silent Green (Matcha Green Tea) and Chill Bill (Chilli). Copywriter WIN. 

    Pero yes. Mahalin ang sariling atin! 

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Fair enough - enjoy the long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at the inclusion of Choc-nut! :-) Love it!

    ReplyDelete